How to install headset with Triple Tree Forks?

dparenti13

Local time
11:33 AM
Which way is the right way to install the headset?

1:

Or this way?

2:

And if it is the second way, do I cut the steerer tube flush with where the clamp is, and then install the top cap just against the metal?

Doesn't really bother me, but do I just cut the steerer tube flush with the triple tree cap and then just run the top cap on top of that?
It'll need to be slightly lower than flush with the upper crown aka yoke, so that you can tighten up the headset, but yeah. :)

EDIT : This was bad advice please see my next post.

Last edited:
Would an 1/8" lower be good?
Well actually, I'd like to revise my comment.
I didn't think about it long enough without the parts in front of me and I was completely wrong, because you presumably have a single pinch bolt on the yoke to clamp it to the steerer tube. That means you want the full contact area to be clamped.
Cut the steerer a little higher than the yoke and put a headset spacer over it, that would be thick enough to give that 1/8" or so that you need to be able to tighten the headset.

An ordinary stem with two pinch bolts would have a great desl more surface to clamp and you would normally cut the steerer (or add spacers under the stem) so that it doesn't quite reach the top of the stem, to allow the top cap to properly compress the headset.

Well actually, I'd like to revise my comment.
I didn't think about it long enough without the parts in front of me and I was completely wrong, because you presumably have a single pinch bolt on the yoke to clamp it to the steerer tube. That means you want the full contact area to be clamped.
Cut the steerer a little higher than the yoke and put a headset spacer over it, that would be thick enough to give that 1/8" or so that you need to be able to tighten the headset.

An ordinary stem with two pinch bolts would have a great desl more surface to clamp and you would normally cut the steerer (or add spacers under the stem) so that it doesn't quite reach the top of the stem, to allow the top cap to properly compress the headset.
Yeah, that makes more sense. So run a small spacer on top, and then cut the steerer tube a little bit below the height of the spacer so the pinch bolt has room to squeeze things together. I think?

Back