How to make a China 2-stroke 48cc / 66cc last forever???

Here's an idea: There should be an American association that certifies that a 2 stroke and 4 stroke engine meets specified standards of quality, so purchasers have a level of confidence in the motor. This could ultimately stem the importation of cheap, unreliable engines from China. Let's make it hard to import bad quality. Although the Chinese 2 strokes are a bust, I am very satisifed with my HS 142F 4 stroke. Starts with one pull and never a problem, very reliable.

Who says government? I meant a private organization, set up just to certify engines for use on bicycles, go karts, gopeds.

I believe the key to long engine life is to avoid over-revving these little two-stroke engines. I have one of the usual "China Girl" engines with about 600 miles on it so far, and it's running very well now that it's just about broken in. I avoid trying to go over 20mph, for above that speed the little China Girl sounds like it wants to fly apart due to high RPMs. (I've had it up to a top speed of 23mph, but only briefly a couple times.)

Between watching the revs and being sure to accurately measure the oil, I hope to make the little engine run for a long time - we'll see how she goes!

Can I say something stupid and novice? I believe you can't make two-stroke engines live forever as:
- clearly this engines are too hot in operation (what is burn that pot metal parts from inside),
- single cylinder engines vibrate.

I would be nice to have that morini engine but that's clearly toy for rich.

Mainly this is why producers move to 4stroke and 2+ cylinders.

We can cry under split milk or just move on. I had moments with HT when I almost cried when parts broke itself - I moved to Honda GX35 and I just ride and ride on half gallon weekly and I scared already myself on full throttle when white van passed me on corner at 30+ speed.

I need to clock that bike as I still don't know how fast it is.

since both aussir an rse have both been mentioned i thought id toss in my 2 cents worth .

1 . yes im a aussie
2 . yes i own a rse motor (hp1.5 48cc )

an so far my motor has done 2300 kms
an i know of 3 other bikes in sydney all with over 3000 kms
no broken bits .other than a broken throttle body (bloody plastic toy !@#$)
blew a tube early on b4 i added thornless tubes ..

now i am 14 days away from puttin sbp shiftkit 2 ,expanion pipe , loprofile air cleaner
i have the parts but not the electric grinder ,drill
when i do ill put parts together an see if i can go any better fuel an speed wise .
i used to get 55 km per lt an 65kmh ,,

ohhh i have heard of a 66 cc doin over 10,000 an still goin strong only no front mount as lugs cracked off from virbrations

brad
sydney

These MB ought to be embraced for the concept.

Govs, free markets, whatever, are a entity unto their own. I don't even want to go there.

The reality I see today;
price of fuel,
cost of running a car
and the increasing waiting time in traffic.
This waiting time in traffic now seems to be increasing during off-peak. Busses get the fast lanes.
Land availability decreasing in urban areas, therefore minimising the options to increase main arterial roads by a lane or 2.
And if they do increase the lanes, in no time it will be useless as the traffic increases later on.
MB is not the solution and I don't think anyone has a solution to the increasing numbers of vehicles on the road.

Consider the MB concept beyond the hobby level, to get the worker to work and back on a narrow passage of road, ( shared cycle lanes ) is sort of a logical thing when ya gotta go, ya gotta go! It's as simple as that, because friend, "I have a mortgage to pay, the bank wants it's loan re-payment, a child to feed, a missus to boot, ( or ex) and the boss will fire me if I am not at work on time, when I can't get through the traffic. Getting up earlier to miss the traffic rush is no longer a option, cos Joe next door is up early to!"

A bike with pedals, and a motor be it china girl, sachs 30cc, 4 stroke etc etc,
but a bike with pedals and motor beyond the novelty cannot be denied.

Things may become so congested, if a politician's vote counted and he was late for a sitting to get the vote and HIS job was at stake, he'd be on a MB, and they make it legal then....that is why they cannot wipe the MB out all together, cos one day, they may need it themselves!

Last edited:
I bought mine used, so I have no idea how many miles they have on them. I think they can be made to last by running them just above idle speed. I also hit the spark kill switch going down hill for a bit so the engine crankcase can "flood" with the fuel/oil mixture to cool the bearings, and then pull the clutch in and coast down the rest of the hill. I suspect the extra oil will help, even if it hurts mileage a little, other than coasting with the engine off and clutch disengaged.

I believe the key to long engine life is to avoid over-revving these little two-stroke engines. I have one of the usual "China Girl" engines with about 600 miles on it so far, and it's running very well now that it's just about broken in. I avoid trying to go over 20mph, for above that speed the little China Girl sounds like it wants to fly apart due to high RPMs. (I've had it up to a top speed of 23mph, but only briefly a couple times.)

Between watching the revs and being sure to accurately measure the oil, I hope to make the little engine run for a long time - we'll see how she goes!

i have been running the same engine since october last yr it is a ht66 cc motor i got over 5000 miles i've taken it to work 50 miles round trip 4 or 5 time i've filled the tank up 40 times since i have had it only thing i changed was clutch cable and carb rest of time i run my motor with 5 ozs of oil per gallon to keep it lubed up nicely and no wot im in the process of changing out my 44 tooth for a 36 tooth sprocket to also help me from hitting wot with it also to give me a little more top end i live in the flat lands of missouri and i rode so far yr round snow ice rain shine it does it all

A everlasting China girl!

The only way I can see this type of motor lasting many years is to simply leave it in the box. I bought one a few years ago when they were on sale and I thought it couldn't get any more. I kept it in the box for two years, until the motor I was currently using damaged itself beyond the meager mechanical skills I had to fix it. So technically I've had my current engine a Skyhawk 66 for over two and half years. I guess I'm going to have to buy another one now because I need another spare.

The first motor I got was an eBay boy go fast and it lasted about three months. The next one I got was just a motor from zoom cycles. It ran like a top. The problem I had with that motor was that the mounting bracket I made put too much stress on the engine case and eventually it shattered.

The current engine I have is a Skyhawk 66 I think I got from gas bike. I have had some problems with this particular motor. It had a bad CDI, a bad carburetor and the chain that came with the unit was of standard BMX type chain. It only lasted about 5 miles before it broke. I also had to swap out the drive cog from my boy go fast bike to my current Skyhawk.

It seems to be running fairly well now, although it still doesn't seem to have the power of my little zoom cycle. I am using a Sick Bike Parts tuned pipe and with that does help it get out of its own way.

I am using more oil in my current bike than I was in my little zoom cycle. I was using a 1 to 35 mix in that engine but I have dropped it down to 1 to 30 give or take a little.

the most they seem to be able to get out of these motors is about 600 miles but last time the motor mount broke and so did part of the engine so I can't blame the quality of the manufacture of the engine to the quality of the manufacture that ideas on making mount. Since then I have purchased from Sick Bike Parts a couple of oversized tube mounts and they seem to work flawlessly. I think that if I get 2000 miles out of this one I will set a new record.

mike f

Back