How to Mount engine on larger frame ?

deviousdoses

Local time
9:06 PM
Hello all,

My first build was on a 20$ dollar pawn shop bike.... Instead of throwing money into a death trap of a bike, I baught a newer "used" bike that is in alot better shape.

The only problem now is trying to figure out how to mount the engine on the rear, as the bottom rear mount will have a larger frame tube.

The front tube is the same size as current bike, but the rear bottom tube mount will definately not fit.

Someone suggested to "sueeze" the frame's tube, but I don't like the sound of that.

Has anyone got a simple solution as to how to mount the rear/bottom engine to a larger frame than the kit will allow ?

Im thinking of just bolting a bracket to engine that is larger to accomodate the larger frame, then another larger bracket to hold it all together.

Any suggestions ?

Hello all,

My first build was on a 20$ dollar pawn shop bike.... Instead of throwing money into a death trap of a bike, I baught a newer "used" bike that is in alot better shape.

The only problem now is trying to figure out how to mount the engine on the rear, as the bottom rear mount will have a larger frame tube.

The front tube is the same size as current bike, but the rear bottom tube mount will definately not fit.

Someone suggested to "sueeze" the frame's tube, but I don't like the sound of that.

Has anyone got a simple solution as to how to mount the rear/bottom engine to a larger frame than the kit will allow ?

Im thinking of just bolting a bracket to engine that is larger to accomodate the larger frame, then another larger bracket to hold it all together.

Any suggestions ?

The engine needs to be mounted to the frame, not the frame to the engine. That being said, I have always mounted the engines from the rear mount first and then mount the front to the frame customizing a mount..I have not found one bike that allowed for a correct fit of a HT engine. In your case I'd mount the front first, then customize the rear mount. Depending on the front tube, you may need to make both front and rear mounts. It is easy and inexpensive if you know someone with a wielder if you choose metal like I do.

Yours can be done front and rear if needed as in the picture below...
picture.php

Last edited:
Devious

Some Day I Hope To Mount Some Of My China Girl Kit`s!! Lol, Not Kidding. Just Got Too Busy Doing Diy Build`s.

Have Often Thought Of Using The High Pressure Industrial Clamps From "mcmaster-carr.com". Less Than $5. Each, Many Size`s And Several Styles Available. An Order Of Several Usually Cost Me Around $4.95 Sh. Often Get Delivery The Next Day!!

Have Them On My Diy Shifter Bike For Almost A Yr, Working Great.

Will Post A Couble Pic`s Of My Build And Then Research A Pic Of Model/style And Part Number. I Have Thought About Posting This Info For Quite Some Time! Problem Is-i`m So Basfull!

AFTER I DID MY BUILD I FOUND BETTER STYLE WITH THE STEEL PLATE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE MOUNT. I THINK ONE PLATE IS THREADED. TWO HOLES COULD BE DRILLED AND BOLT PLATE TO ENGINE WITH ALLEN HEAD BOLTS ( HAVE THEM LONG ENOUGH TO USE ALL THE MOTOR THREAD = BUT NOT BOTTOMING OUT BEFORE TIGHT). THEN DRILL SHALLOW HOLES IN THE GREEN MATERIAL FOR THE ALLEN HEADS. LOCK TITE THE THREADS!!??

USED 1 1/2" & 1 3/4" CLAMPS FOR MY SHIFTER, NO MOD`S NEEDED. WILL GO TO THE WEBSITE FOR PART NO`S. SORRY FOR THE CAPS, ADDED THIS AFTER DN LOADING PICS. RON

Attachments

• 100_1240.JPG
    100_1240.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 350
  • 100_1247.JPG
    100_1247.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 100_1253.JPG
    100_1253.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 305
  • 100_1222.jpg
    100_1222.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 302
Devious

Took Me A Bit To Find The Best Mount With The Steel Plate On Both Sides.
The Clamp For 1 1/4" Tubing Cost $2.95 Part # 3015t28 Page 1500 At "mcmaster Carr.com" They Have 480,000 Items. I Buy All My Metric And Regular Fastener`s, Allen Bolts Etc From Them = Like 50 Or 100 Per Box.

Imho I Think They Have Many Applications And Should Be Good For The Frame. They come in many size`s up to 4 ". I just read about the different temp range`s. i think the green would suffice.

Ron

Attachments

• WELD-MOUNT VIBRATION-DAMPING CLAMPS.JPG
    WELD-MOUNT VIBRATION-DAMPING CLAMPS.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
If you don't mind how ugly those muffler-clamp setups look, it's probably your only way to go without modifying anything. I personally ground down as much of the engine as possible to accept a larger tube and pinched a couple small dents on either side to allow the bolts/studs to pass. If it's a quality frame, you don't have anything to worry about. Mine isn't, which also makes me not really care if it breaks, heh.

Back