How to properly break-in a motorised bike engine

lukecanna

Local time
1:30 AM
Just trying to compile all the research i have found on the sit3 into one post.
From what i have read and what i think, its best that you run your motor in at around 20:1 (16:1 which is recommended usually clogs your exhaust up with unburnt oil) non synthetic oil for the first 3 tanks or so and on the first tank stay around half throttle then for the second and third vary speeds going WOT for a few seconds and coming back down to half throttle.
Then after 3 tanks or 500kms switch to a semi-synthetic oil and use 32-1 ratio mix.
Please feel free to discuss below :)

i squirt oil into the crank case and also the cylinder before starting and also full choke it at fist start for a good bit then fire it up i just run
32:1 brand new never had issues

Lukecanna, I think you have it pretty well nailed. I tend to run it 3/4 throttle for brief bursts to help seat the rings, with cool down time in between. More oil is better in my opinion, regardless of the spooge. Light running is not good, the rings will not seat.

Mineral oil 2 stroke oil they do sell so technically you could run baby oil in a 2 stroke with no issues smells good too lol

Just trying to compile all the research i have found on the sit3 into one post.
From what i have read and what i think, its best that you run your motor in at around 20:1 (16:1 which is recommended usually clogs your exhaust up with unburnt oil) non synthetic oil for the first 3 tanks or so and on the first tank stay around half throttle then for the second and third vary speeds going WOT for a few seconds and coming back down to half throttle.
Then after 3 tanks or 500kms switch to a semi-synthetic oil and use 32-1 ratio mix.
Please feel free to discuss below :)
well, everyone had different ways of breaking in a engine (and some think its the only way to do it)
what i did was run 25:1 for a single tank, and i used it in its full rpm range (20% WOT, 40% mid-high-40% low- idle rpm)
then i just ran 32:1 and then just rode it like i stole it :sneaky:

Back