How to properly install engine studs?

noah9988

Local time
8:53 PM
I need to install some studs, what is the correct way to do so? I stripped the case on one engine by using double nuts and tightening them until they bottom out, or very tight. I backed them off about 1/3 of a turn. I also used blue loctite. It stripped when I was tightening the nuts on the head. What's the best method so I don't repeat that? And no, I'm not using acorn nuts.

Double nut, some say locktite, I don't use it. Torque to 8lbs( EDIT:14lbs for head studs) give or take. An ya done. Lol

I use long coupler nuts as stud nuts for the exhaust side.
Easy to get a wrench on and help pull a little heat from the flange right there. Not a whole lot, but hey every degree helps. An they hold with all the threads instead of the 4 or so on a normal nut.

I got them on fine. All I need to do now is take a couple links out of the chain and she's ready to rip. I torqued the head nuts to 150 inch pounds, is that good?

When I install studs, I always test fit the studs first, make sure they thread in easy by hand. If they don't, then you need to chase the holes. Some red loctite and screw them in by hand. They'll never come out or be an issue after that. If I ever need to remove I have a jiffy little stud tool.
Something akin to this one.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I got them on fine. All I need to do now is take a couple links out of the chain and she's ready to rip. I torqued the head nuts to 150 inch pounds, is that good?
That should be fine. Just make sure you re check them after the first 2 or three rides ( after engine is cool to the touch), just to make sure they stay tight.

Back