How to Protect from Theft of engine.

moun10biker

Local time
6:22 PM
I want to be able to ride my bike to school, but there are a few people who may try to steal it while I'm in the school. I have already got a bike fork lock, bu how do I protect the engine from being stripped from the bike? I head of those bike alarms, but I dont want to break the bank if I don't have too.

That could be possible. But its pretty easy to chop through bike lock chains. Is there a way that when a bad guy come to jack the engine, that an alarm can blast for a reasonable amount of money?

sorry i have no experience in the area of alarmed bicycles lol

but you can buy nice locks that are nearly impossible to cut through and by buying them you get insurance from that lock company

i think it covers whatever it is attached to so yes

ask the company first though to make sure

however it surely does not cover things like lights and other things not actually attached to the lock

Chances are a theif won't hang around long enough to take the engine off your bike. They'll take the whole bike and strip it else where later. Get your parents to check with their home owner's insurance and see if it covers your bike. If it doesn't, maybe they can have it added for a few extra bucks per year. Mine does. The great honest society we live in these days. Nothing is sacred anymore !

I'm not concerned with someone stealing the engine, but if I was I'd spot weild ONE front mounting nut to the stud, one dab (arc) would do it.

Yeah, but then the stud would just un screw out of the engine case.
You would have to tack the nut to the mount plate itself.

i think it covers whatever it is attached to so yes

ask the company first though to make sure

however it surely does not cover things like lights and other things not actually attached to the lock
I have seen it discussed on other forums that the lock guarantee insurance from companies like Kryptonite does not cover anything but the OEM bike cost. And even at that, it's somewhat of a bother to collect on the insurance offer anyway.

The example below is about Bulldog lock insurance policies, but the other lock companies have plenty of conditions also-
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=395865

Short answer: ANY lock can be cut through with a battery-powered grinder. A lock just takes a bike thief's time, it doesn't really stop them from doing anything.
~

Back