How to put a Briggs on a bike

F

Fl.redneck

I have a 2 hp Briggs 4 cycle edger and its been sitting for a while( it runs good) but I don't use it, I was thinking of putting it to use on a mini bike of a bike frame, I was wondering if I should just find a used mini bike frame or (I got a welder) and put it on a bicycle frame? if I use a Bike frame, how do I make the drive train? Belt? chain? sprockets? etc

you've come to the right place....sounds like a cool project. have a look around & see what we're doing with home builts.
the 4 stroke Briggs will be a killer powerplant for a bicycle.

Thanks, for the reply,
It took me a few tries to find this forum
I first found ratbikes. com
and the sales for pre manufactured kits for beach cruziers etc)
I think it be cool to try to make something out of parts laying around, I'll have to study up on the drivetrain for a bike to a go-kart type clutch system, I don't think a belt slip system (well it would be harder to make work) ( or a direct (rub) on the wheel system where motor is on a spring loaded device or something
Maybe I can weld a bike sprocket to the go-kart clutch(on the briggs) and run the (regualar bike chain right to a sprocket on a 10-speed type bike? (front sprockets? I know I need some sort of gear reduction like (if you look a mini bikes) big gear in back; small gear on motor.
thanks in advance.

Pic of a home made bike in GA

y755bike.jpg

Here is a picture of a bike made out of a huffy in Ga, off of Ratbikes . com
sort of what I was thinking of building,
there are good used Minibike frames out there but most people won't ship them reasonable cost so I was thinking of making something.

Last edited by a moderator:
in our state if you can retain the peddels and keep it up 30 its legal on the roads. I've been searching all these posts looking for ideas too. I have several old briggs 5hp which are 206cc (outlawed for bicycle in oklahoma), and a pile of old bicycles i"m getting good ideas and bout to start soon. don't want to go fast.(well not noticibly too fast anyway) I just want plenty of grunt and no screaming rpm's.

Back