How to remove this small gear

Local time
10:31 AM
Im trying to take it off using a flat head and it doesnt want to budge

+1 on the impact. Use a Tight fitting screw driver tip. It’s easier to take out by hand if the large bevel gear is there and you can jam lock the gears.

As stated by wolframore, its easier if the big gear is there. A very redneck solutition is replace the big gear, put a rag between them to keep the gears from turning (rag wont break the teeth on gear, but any soft metal is good too) and take a quarter, cut it in half, tightly grip it with vicegrips, and turn. Sould come right off.

I'd get a large bit with a hex shank. Make sure it's a good fit.

Put the end of the shank in a socket....
Put the socket on a socket wrench...

And yep jam the gears somehow....rag etc

Or possibly you can put that hex shank bit in an impact driver..... My little milwaukee battery operated impact driver does 140 ft lb supposedly..... I don't know if I believe that but it definitely does 70 or so.

Last edited:
Yep my Mac Tools impact wouldnt even need that gear locked. It puts out 1200 ftlbs 😍 Do not tighten it with one

When i had a harmonic balancer fail on vehicle.....stepson brought over his 1500 ft-lb impact..........i said no thanks.....afraid to break something . Or shear off the bolt in the crankshaft......

My trust convenient 300 ft lb electric handled it. The electric is just simply suitable for 95% of things i do.....and way easier than dragging out the air hoses and waking up the neighbors with the compressor. Bought it about 25 years ago and it was some of the best money I ever spent. course today you got the lithium rechargeable ones that are even more convenient than that.... And can do 1500 foot pounds. Li Batteries are perfect high output low use application for impact wrenches

But there's still a use for these old hammer impact drivers with screwdriver bits. I used one to remove some Frozen screws on a outboard motor tiller arm a few months back that nothing else would work on , screw head tried to strip. Mine was 40 plus years old. Worked a charm.
Screenshot_20201107-081721.png
Screenshot_20201107-081721.png

Last edited:
It is electric, I love this thing, new tool and makes life a breeze, I’ve been using it for a while it came with 2, 5A batteries and the battery is still full. I’ve done several brakes, a hub bearings, ball joint and its amazing, it will not be used on the Chinese engines, my Ryobi 3/8 impact driver works fine without breaking things on small stuff. I got it to do drive sprockets on motorcycles without having to lock them. Electric impacts are amazing now a days. Who needs air.

Back