How to ride LEGAL in Colorado?

I just got a 66cc MB and I'm having a lot of trouble getting it "legal" in CO...no insurer will insure it, but I need insurance to register it, but to register it, it has to be less than 50 cc, but even if it's less than 50cc, I still can't get it insured. I can't even get it registered as a motorcycle bc it doesn't have a VIN (let alone signals, etc). Pretty much the same issue people were having a couple years ago. Glad to see progress has been made :rolleyes:

Here's what I've found out in the 2+ years I've lived in Colorado...

I just got a 66cc MB and I'm having a lot of trouble getting it "legal" in CO...no insurer will insure it, but I need insurance to register it, but to register it, it has to be less than 50 cc, but even if it's less than 50cc, I still can't get it insured. I can't even get it registered as a motorcycle bc it doesn't have a VIN (let alone signals, etc). Pretty much the same issue people were having a couple years ago. Glad to see progress has been made :rolleyes:

Have met several other people with both gas and electric bikes around Colorado Springs. When I had mine running late last year...rode several 10-15 mile round trips from eastern Colorado Springs to the Payton/Falcon area on frontage/back roads. No one stopped me asking me for insurance or to check to see if I'd registered it. Then...several weeks ago...met a gentleman at my old job who's been riding MB's for several years. In the 45+ minute talking session...he let me know the law for MB's for Colorado is if it has pedals attached to it...it's thought of as a bicycle with an assist engine added to it. You also have to have a driver's license as well. Where the tricky part comes in is the law the way it is written is vague...in case the police get off on wanting to throw their weight around. They could impound your bike...especially if you're acting stupid on it for the interests of "public safety". The same advice I got several years ago seems to be the consensus...you want to act/be stupid and attract attention...you could end up with no MB and in a holding cell. Basically...you don't attract attention...you should be able to ride without getting into trouble.

For myself...am seriously thinking about getting my motorcycle endorsement back by taking a safety class. This way...I can ride anything out there...short of commercial with a CDL. Plus...I can get something which will allow me to make trips out of town...where now neither my car or MB are running enough to be able to get out of town.

simple....
#1. IF you must ride "legally", get a 48 c.c. engine and not a 66 c.c
they run the same, look the same, the 49's don't have the vibrations that the 66's have, and actually a 49 c.c. will outrun a 66 c.c. when set up and tuned right.

#2. LIE. tell them that your 66 c.c. is a 49. c.c. the only way they would be able to tell that it's a 66 is if they pull the engine apart and measure the bore, and stroke.

#3. if you can't get the vin #, just ride it and don't get caught. IF you do get caught, play dumb...say you had no idea that there was a law against them and again, say it's 49 c.c.'s.

I'm sorry if you don't feel the same way that i do, but this is the way i'd do it.
I have been riding for 3 years now, and the only time i have been "stopped" by the cops was so they could check out my bikes and tell me how cool they are.

I got pulled over by a colorado state trooper and he said it was cool but it needed lights

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I had come across this page looking up the law on the motorbike myself wondering what the new scooter law is all about I have a 66cc act of terrorism that I have been pulled over on more than a dozen times and I guess I am very lucky because the police have always been cool with me and have not given me any scruff about having an engine on my bike only for not having my lights on at night and specifically Jeffco sheriff's were the only ones to inquire about it they did ask what size it was I said 38 cc to whicharge they said OK because anything over 49 needed a motorcycle licence

Hi I had come across this page looking up the law on the motorbike myself wondering what the new scooter law is all about I have a 66cc act of terrorism that I have been pulled over on more than a dozen times and I guess I am very lucky because the police have always been cool with me and have not given me any scruff about having an engine on my bike only for not having my lights on at night and specifically Jeffco sheriff's were the only ones to inquire about it they did ask what size it was I said 38 cc to whicharge they said OK because anything over 49 needed a motorcycle licence
Thank you for the Info. I live in Pueblo Colorado and am trying to get all the info I can. I've spoke with several person that I've seen around town about the cops stopping them and so far everyone says it hasn't happened. Probably not really on the cops radar here. Bigger fish to fry. Now I just have to figure out what engine will work best for me and get out there and have fun,too.

Here's what you can be charged with while riding a MAB, a real example.

• Jefferson County Sheriff Logo
Inmates
  1. Return to Search Results
Vine Link Inmate NotificationAlerts �

Success �

Error �

Error �

Information x

Name: Gender: MWeight: 180Arresting Agency: LAKEWOOD POLICE DEPARTMENTAge: 46Race: WHITEBooking Date: 09/11/2019JCID: P00113559Height: 5'8''Booking Number: 1926143Click Here for Visitor InformationClick Here for Bond InformationClick Here to Send MoneyCharges
Print
��
ChargeBond Amount/TypeEligible for Bail?Fine CostExpected Release DateBail ReferenceNext Scheduled Court DateCourt TimeCourtDocket NumberType of Hearing
ChargeBond Amount/TypeEligible for Bail?Fine CostExpected Release DateBail ReferenceNext Scheduled Court DateCourt TimeCourtDocket NumberType of Hearing
1 VEHICULAR ELUDING $15,000.00 CASH/SURETY Yes $0.00 No Data No Data 09/18/2019 No Data 10:00 JEFFERSON COUNTY DIVISION G 19CR3307 FILLING OF CHARGES(2ND ADVISEMENT HEARING)
2 DROVE VEH WHEN LIC UNDER RESTRAINT HTO $0.00 Yes $0.00 No Data BOND RELATED TO OTHER CHARGE No Data No Data No Data 19CR3307 No Data
3 OBSTRUCTING PEACE OFCR FIREFIGHTER EMS $0.00 Yes $0.00 No Data BOND RELATED TO OTHER CHARGE No Data No Data No Data 19CR3307 No Data
4 UNLAWFUL POSSESSION CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE $0.00 Yes $0.00 No Data BOND RELATED TO OTHER CHARGE No Data No Data No Data 19CR3307 No Data
5 THEFT $0.00 Yes $0.00 No Data BOND RELATED TO OTHER CHARGE No Data No Data No Data 19CR3307 No Data
6 OWNER OPERATED UNINSURED VEHICLE $0.00 Yes $0.00 No Data BOND RELATED TO OTHER CHARGE No Data No Data No Data 19CR3307 No Data
7 RECKLESS DRIVING $0.00 Yes $0.00 No Data BOND RELATED TO OTHER CHARGE No Data No Data No Data 19CR3307 No Data
8 DROVE MOTORIZED BICYCLE W O VALID LICENSE $0.00 Yes $0.00 No Data BOND RELATED TO OTHER CHARGE No Data No Data No Data 19CR3307 No Data
9 BIKE NOT EQUIPPED W FRONT LAMP $0.00 Yes $0.00 No Data BOND RELATED TO OTHER CHARGE No Data No Data No Data 19CR3307 No Data
10 MOTORIZED BIKE NOT EQUIPPED W LT REFLECTOR $0.00 Yes $0.00 No Data BOND RELATED TO OTHER CHARGE No Data No Data No Data 19CR3307 No Data
11 MOTORIZED BICYCLE REGISTRATION $0.00 Yes $0.00 No Data BOND RELATED TO OTHER CHARGE No Data No Data No Data 19CR3307 No Data
12 DRUG PARAPHERNALIA POSSESSION OF $0.00 Yes $0.00 No Data BOND RELATED TO OTHER CHARGE No Data No Data No Data 19CR3307 No Data
No Charges on Record
Information is current as of: Sep 15 2019 11:30AM
©2019 Inmate Lookup Jefferson County CO
Number: IS01 Edited the name out for anonymity of the accused.

Last edited:
WOW, have the laws changed in CO? Maybe those charges are municipal ordinances? We better find out or others might get in a jam. Needing ins and a DL are the big ones, reg too. I know the cops didn't make up these laws he's charged with. Above is public info anyone can look up on the web. If those charges related to the MAB are city charges the court should be listed as Lakewood muni not Jeffco district felony court. My understanding of the low power scooter law only applied to DOT approved 50cc scooter with MAB's being edited out of that law.

Last edited:
From the dept of revenue website concerning the low power scooter law.
"A Low-Power Scooter does not include a toy vehicle, bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, wheelchair, or any device designed to assist mobility impaired people who use pedestrian right-of-ways."

Hello all!
First post here!
I'm trying to get a bike set up to ride, however i want to make sure it is/i am as legal as possible. I was planning on getting a setup from craigslist for a 66cc kit with a jack shaft.

Colorados laws state that the bike has to be registered with a tag on the bike.
After multiple trips to the Motor Vehicle department and even the police station... i'm stumped as to what i need to do!

Motor Vehicles sent me to police and said they couldnt give me the registration sticker. after an hour consulting with an officer, i was directed to a different officer. Here's the info i was given:
1) the bike has to have a VIN number to be issued the registration sticker.
2) in order to get a VIN number, the bike needs to go through a VIN inspection from the Colorado State Patrol.

Now here's the issue. The kit i am buying is a 66cc, but colorado law states that the engine has to be under 50cc. The officers i talked to said that it may not matter much of the engine size depending on how thorough the inspection is. Has anyone gone through this process?! seems like for such a popular mode of transportation, the police are really not on top of it!
Cops in Florida dont care. Actually state law is anything under 49cc doesnt require a DL. But I know a guy with a 80cc and he's never been stopped doing 45mph on the turnpike. Yea I dont reccomend that but as long as you obey the traffic laws. Pedestrians and bicyclists still have the right of way.
Basically. Don't do stupid stuff while riding. Cops shouldn't mess with you. But Colorado? They may be more concerned with weed aroma than your motorized bike. LoL
And no. A registration isnt required period. But laws out west more strict. Idk why. Y'all have less population. But then again. What else do y'alls politicians have to do? Make b.s. laws. Laws are meant to be bent. Bend wisely.

Ride my bike on this cruising 27mph and nada problem.

Attachments

• 20190513_175113_HDR-1.jpg
    20190513_175113_HDR-1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 264
Back