how to start 4st motor while pedaling pros cons

motorlover

Local time
12:30 PM
hi, I read a lot but i yet have to discover the different reliable ways to start a 4 st motor without having get off the bike (i.e) while already rolling

i have not chosen yet if i will choose a Friction drive, Chain drive or belt, shaft driven(like gebe) or other i dont know of.

I am also interested in being able to stop the motor and keep rolling pedaling with no resistance once i have gotten up the hill.

what are the pros and cons of starting your engine with crankhand (stoped)?

tx

Last edited:
If you have a centrifugal clutch on that motor pedaling will not start it. Think of an automatic car vs one with a clutch pedal.

are you saying that the only way to start a 4 st is to stp the bike and dand crank it?

when you are rolling motor on , can you stop it while in movement and keep pedalling?

Your options AFAIK are use a common cheap pull start or somehow adapt an electric starter motor. (I know what I would choose)
I think simple is beautiful though, so I have a bump start 2 stroke lol! :)

Yes you can still pedal the bike with the engine stopped or idling.
The least resistance would be if you have a freewheeling rear sprocket (and that is an option if you have a pull start or electric start engine).
My bump start 2 stroke does have some resistance as it continues to turn the rear sprocket and the chain and some of the clutch parts whenever the bike is moving.

It won't use a lot of fuel if you leave the engine idling while you pedal. You obviously can't pull start an engine while moving if it's rack mounted.
If you have a frame mounted engine I suppose you might be able to pull start it while moving if it's working well, although I haven't tried. I love the bump start of the 2 stroke.

Last edited:
Your options AFAIK are use a common cheap pull start or somehow adapt an electric starter motor. (I know what I would choose)

The least resistance would be if you have a freewheeling rear sprocket (and that is an option if you have a pull start or electric start engine).
My bump start 2 stroke does have some resistance as it continues to turn the rear sprocket and the chain and some of the clutch parts whenever the bike is moving.

It won't use a lot of fuel if you leave the engine idling while you pedal. You obviously can't pull start an engine while moving if it's rack mounted.
If you have a frame mounted engine I suppose you might be able to pull start it while moving if it's working well, although I haven't tried. I love the bump start of the 2 stroke.

Hey guys, my 4st is frame mounted. When I installed it, I clocked the recoil with the handle facing straight up, just so that I could start it from the seated position. I stay it while seated most of the time. I have also started her while rolling, and it was fine. That may be because my engine is tuned well and starts usually first pull.

Just buy Velokometa kit with belt-driven tiller-type manual clutch from St. Petersburg, Russia. It allows to bump start engine. Version with centrifugal clutch is also available.

Main drawback of Velokometa is that it won't go under rainy conditions because of slipping belt. You'll have to pedal.

Back