How to test if clutch works.

supernova

Local time
8:52 PM
I have a new SkyHawk 48 and this it the first 2 stroke engine I've worked with. It's mounted and the chain drive is installed. I assumed that if a engaged the clutch arm the inner sprocket would be free. However, I'm not noticing any difference whether the clutch is engaged or not. I'm pushing the clutch arm in as far as it will go and no change. Back wheel refuses to coast.

The biggest mistake I see with new builders is they do not adjust the clutch cable tight enough. When you push the release lever inwards until it stops, you have only removed all the free play inside the release mechanism. From that point on the resistance felt is the heavy clutch spring inside the engine case getting compressed. With the hand lever on the handlebars fully out (clutch engaged) the cable should only have a slight wiggle to it. 1/8" or so freeplay.
As stated before, this subject has been brought up again and again and again and again....ad naseum.
A search on this site would do you wonders.

Thanks for the replies. As noted, I've only mounted and chained the beast. Not really sure what I should be expecting with mechanical assumptions until it's all built. I guess I'm jumping ahead of the gun.

Patience grasshopper. Don't play with the toy until all the parts have been properly assembled. ;)

The bike is completely installed except for fuel. The clutch has been adjusted to all specifications found in the many CLUTH ADJUSTMENT THREADS. However, I still have not found a thread with the answer I'm looking for.

Should the rear wheel rotate freely when clutch is engaged? I am assuming it should! NOTE: Engine has not been started and no fuel has been added until I can get this resolved.

Any clues as to which tread covers this?

how to test if clutch works

The rear wheel will not turn freely if the clutch is engaged. When you squeeze the hand lever you are disengaging the clutch.At that point the wheel will turn and it will still move the chain and turn the drive sprocket on the engine which is now independant of the engine until you let the lever out again. There will be some drag from that small sprocket and the chain moving but the bike will certainly coast if the clutch lever is squeezed. Assuming of course that you have adjusted cable correctly.

OK. Lets take the cable out of the equation. If the clutch arm is fully pushed towards the engine, and the clutch pin is fully seated as far as it will go, and the drive shaft still is engaged then there is a major clutch problem. Correct? Because this is what is happening now.

Or another way...

The rear wheel will not turn freely if the clutch is engaged.
OK. Makes sense.

When you squeeze the hand lever you are disengaging the clutch.At that point the wheel will turn and it will still move the chain and turn the drive sprocket on the engine which is now independant of the engine until you let the lever out again.
No. Mine does not.

There will be some drag from that small sprocket and the chain moving but the bike will certainly coast if the clutch lever is squeezed. Assuming of course that you have adjusted cable correctly.
I don't believe it is a cable adjustment problem at this point. I think there is something wrong in the clutch mechanism.

This is a brand new motor. I've even looked at the clutch itself. Not sure what I should be looking for if something is amiss.

Back