How to treat a CDI

Alvis0069

Local time
7:12 AM
So I'm on my seventh brand new CDI and fresh out of the package it again doesn't read on my multimeter. Nothing. Not sure if this is a common problem it if I'm just not doing something right but the odds I think would be better than 7 out of 7. The motor Tron registers fine so what am I doing wrong? By the way, they CDIs all came from three different places including bike berry which I figure would be pretty reputable.

So I'm on my seventh brand new CDI and fresh out of the package it again doesn't read on my multimeter. Nothing. Not sure if this is a common problem it if I'm just not doing something right but the odds I think would be better than 7 out of 7. The motor Tron registers fine so what am I doing wrong? By the way, they CDIs all came from three different places including bike berry which I figure would be pretty reputable.
On the 200k ohms setting it should read 330 or around there!

Thank you but it's registering zero. I've watched videos so I know I'm testing it the right way. I'm using a standard meter set on 2k ohms. Nothing.

have you tried the cdi on the bike? sounds odd that 7 different cdis from different vendors all have the same problem. 200k ohms on the meter isnt the same as 2k ohms. why are you testing the cdi? does your bike run? if all 7 cdis dont work id look at the magneto or magnet. is the magnet on the right way?

Holy moly time to start playing the lottery! 7 in a row? I'm still on my first one luckily. You must not be testing them right... better chance of that than 7 bad in a lifetime and you got them all in row.

No way 7 in a row are bad from 3 different vendors. Something else is up.
Troubleshooting 101

On the bright side ya got a lifetime supply of CDIs

Last edited:
I think it was the tailor that got 7 In One Blow.

Sometimes the magneto has varnish on it and people use sandpaper to clean it off but I am not sure what grit.

Sometimes it's the wires coming out of the magneto housing that are not sending the message correctly. Need to be replaced? Is the solder point connecting the wires broken?

Did you ever just put one on the bike and try starting it? Or, are you making sure all the parts are fit to be used?

Do they make spark?
Take the spark plug out, put it in the cdi, connect the cdi, prop up the bike, and spin the engine with the pedals. This should be easier with the spark plug out cause less compression. Do you see a spark out of the bottom of the spark plug? Maybe turn off the lights too

Back