How would you mount a gas tank to this frame?

Brickyard

Local time
6:42 PM
5CFCB87C-745F-4E7F-838D-39BE2591AE35.jpeg
If you wanted the tank as forward on the frame as possible, but the fork in the frame was in the way of the aft tank studs and bracket, how would you mount? Thanks for the responses in advance!

Last edited:
View attachment 81475 If you wanted the tank as forward on the frame as possible, but the fork in the frame was in the way of the aft tank studs and bracket, how would you mount? Thanks for the responses in advance!
IMG_20180414_005344.jpg
Not a great diagram but hopefully it makes sense. The exhaust clamps aka u bolt clamps can be tightened onto the frame more tightly than fragile tank studs, too. :)

If you need extra space for the petcock I think you could raise the tank further by adding a nut or two to it's studs above the plate. This would also mean that the nuts securing the tank to the plate would be tightened together, pinching the plate, so they wouldn't stress the fragile welds.
IMG_20180414_004622.jpg

Great freakin idea! Thanks for the sketch! I’m going to go with this, I’ll post the results in a few days.

View attachment 81476
Not a great diagram but hopefully it makes sense. The exhaust clamps aka u bolt clamps can be tightened onto the frame more tightly than fragile tank studs, too. :)

If you need extra space for the petcock I think you could raise the tank further by adding a nut or two to it's studs above the plate. This would also mean that the nuts securing the tank to the plate would be tightened together, pinching the plate, so they wouldn't stress the fragile welds.
View attachment 81477

I had the same problem on a similar bike, and just made a new band that was longer and fit over the extra tubing.

I ended up taking a much easier approach. Drilled 2 holes in the provided tank bracket, flipped it upside down, and ran a thick zip tie to hold the bracket to the frame. It’s a lot tighter than I expected!

image.jpg

View attachment 81476

View attachment 81477

Back