Howdy from Cedar Park, (N.W. Austin) Texas. FRAME FAILURE ALERT!!!

ScottyinTahoe

Local time
10:28 PM
Hey everyone!
I'm ScottyinTahoe, just recently relocated to the Austin Metro area. I've just completed my first build using a Grubee Skyhawk 66/80c.c. engine and Firmstrong frame. So far my problems have been vibration/hamonics oriented. ie. fender failure, chain guard failure, loose bolts, etc. Use of Locktite and nylon lined (aircraft style) nuts,and rubber bushings at the engine mounting points have aliveated some of the issues. Replacing alot of the nuts and bolts with higher quality steel nuts, washers and bolts has helped too.
Very sad news...today I experienced complete frame failure on the pedal drive side of the frame where the rear right upper frame tube connects to the axle/wheel mounting plate! Upon further inspection I also have discovered hairline cracks in both the same tubes just behind the center post. To date I have logged less than 400 miles on the bike. I have been riding fast, but no stunt/Evel Knevel activity. I've been searching for similar reports without finding any. If anyone has experienced frame failure please notify me.
Happy riding, ScottyinTahoe

Back