HP Carb

Search

Local time
2:39 AM
I have an HP carb and after jetting it down? (I'm assuming, stock one didn't have a number on it) to a 65, my bike picked up a ton of extra power... I can go at least 5mph faster, I haven't pushed it past 35 yet though because I'm babying it because it's just barely broken in (and also safety or something..)

The only problem is , it dies during idle... hell, it dies as soon as I apply break / disengage clutch... I tried backing off the idle screw 2 full left turns... it seems to improve as it only dies 80% of the time instead of 100%...

I guess my question is... I have all the jets for the carb... would increasing or decreasing the jet size help me out? (or any other suggestions)

I ran a search of the forum and see you guys don't really like the HP carbs but I love it compared to the speed carb and the NT carb... I had the same problem w/ the speed carb but I just had to back out the idle screw a couple turns and it solved the issue

Thanks in advance... you guys are a Godsend... the information I've gained on this site is amazing... you guys rock.

I'm assuming, stock one didn't have a number on it)
Almost all stock NT and/or JRL BoFeng carby's have #70 jets as stock.

I haven't pushed it past 35 yet though because I'm babying it because it's just barely broken in
You used full synthetic oil in your attempt to break it in which actually means the rings are not seated in properly...I left instructions on your other thread covering this for you to follow so you can get them seated in properly.

The only problem is , it dies during idle
HP carby's can be pure hell to tune properly to these motors, especially when they are not properly broken in yet...Just ask @Chainlube about this.

I love flat slide carbs, just not those ones. I convert old sleds to Keihins.

If it won't stay running then it's not getting enough fuel. Try a 68 jet.

Set your idle with the carb off the bike. Look into the throat and watch the slide as it clears the body, if it is 1-2mm above then it should stay running.
The slides are not a precision made part and are poorly cast with extra casting that can hang up on the body. This is after I filed a bunch off and it still looks bad, but it does move up and down.

Attachments

• 20230521_191143.jpg
    20230521_191143.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 93
The slides are not a precision made part and are poorly cast with extra casting that can hang up on the body. This is after I filed a bunch off and it still looks bad, but it does move up and down.
YUCK...lol...When I magnify that pic, I can actually see a crack running through it too...lol.

Back