HS 142f won’t idle or start without starter fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll get at another cleaning then. Thanks

Actually.. if you look up in the sun at a 49 degree angle and stand on your head you can see the other side of the jet. But wire seems legit I guess :rolleyes:

Piece of wire from a wire brush will work.

These damn carbs! Boxier than an 80s Volvo and almost as fun. Okay, so the carb’s the only real culprit ay? Fuel is in bowl and the float and needle/spring seem normal

But did you check the float setting to see if its set correctly.. 21mm from gasket surface to top of float.. Measured with carb upside down float setting on brass tabs?

Measured floats on two stock carbs and finally poked all jets with wire. Flushed with carb cleaner and used backup carb. Still can’t get an idle. Throttle responds fine with no load but will not run under load. Starting to think it isn’t a carb issue but the clutch looks fine. ???

Is this off a plain start/idle or when your trying to start it? Mine tends to idle a lil diffrent also daily but from temperature adjustments an the gas sitting gets dull and takes on moisture which dulls combustion. Could it be the gas or a weak cdi.. Cheap dirty plug.. Either to much load from clutch bogging it out maybe bad piston seals? Do you give it throttle to rev it up and it still dies when loads applied? Im lost after that lol

O ring seal on the idle jet needs to be pliable and sealing correctly for it to run optimally. Don't know exactly why it's so darn important but it IS. Thatsdax.com has those orings on parts page 1 if needed.

I had a horrible time trying to figure out a carb issue a while back and found the chock lever was worn enough to allow it to rattle back and forth from open to closed and back again when riding. Gave me a hell of a hard time trying to figure out how a clean carb with no air leaks was acting that way. I melted that mofo wide open. Starting is a little harder but no more issues while riding.

Now that I remember correctly it was a piece of brass wire from a cleaning brush that worked to open the jet hole up, steel wire from a brush was too big to work.

How can I test 8mm spark plug compression with a kit that only goes down to 10mm. Can’t find an 8mm adapter anywhere! How do folks test HS engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back