HS 142f won’t idle or start without starter fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Brown

Local time
6:55 AM
Stock carb cleaned, SBP air filter, new head gasket, valves clearance checked, clutch looks okay? (copper bushing chipped off a little on the rim area but lubed)... I can’t seem to adjust air screw to help it idle. Carb issue? Clutch maybe?

Starter fluid fires it up but very quickly dies with no gas. Won’t idle at all. Thanks for ideas

You gotta pull the brass plug out on the left side of the carb closest to the engine. Carefully drill a small hole in the plug and screw a wood screw in there. Twist the screw while pulling out with a pair of vice grips. You should uncover your idle mixture screw underneath.

Indeed. Yes, so to clarify I have done that drilling out previously but this time the small screw adjustments aren’t helping much. I have that screw at about 2 turns out from lightly seated. Can’t dial it up correctly yet..

I think I checked for leaks with the starter fluid and didn’t notice any rpm revving. I’ll double check.

I don’t believe I scrubbed that idle jet since I didn’t have the right gauge but it looked clean through before. I’ll go find some and scrub just to be sure. Gauge #?

More info: My problem started when riding along full throttle normally and came to a stop. Bike idled way down and then died. Hasn’t idled since.

These damn carbs! Boxier than an 80s Volvo and almost as fun. Okay, so the carb’s the only real culprit ay? Fuel is in bowl and the float and needle/spring seem normal

I don’t believe I scrubbed that idle jet since I didn’t have the right gauge but it looked clean through before. I’ll go find some and scrub just to be sure. Gauge #?
Believe? Looked clean?? Scrub? LOL
There is no way to see if that small opening is not blocked.
Use a thin piece of wire to clean the jet.
I have a jet cleaner from a Svea 123 stove that works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back