HS 4 Clutch Busted Spring

ezrider

Local time
12:24 PM
Gear seized up on me. Took apart the clutch cover....and noticed the broken spring. Not sure if replacing the busted spring will resolve the seized gear issue. Also notice in the photo...the dark debris residue lying in the cover. Never a good sign.

Attachments

• ClutchSpring2.jpg
    ClutchSpring2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 208
What gear is seized? The crank shaft, cam gear? From the pic all that black stuff is just clutch friction material. A new clutch will fix that right up, springs do break but it's not common.

the gear seizing experience might probably just be the loose spring jamming the clutch bell and causing a "seize", which goes away when you just remove the broken spring. also, i keep mentioning this but i really think the clutch bell they give us with the hs-142f kits is too big causing unnecessary stress on the clutch and springs popping. i am using a pocket bike clutch bell which is like maybe .100" smaller and no broken springs thus far when i know i should have one. that small .100" might really just do it

The real shocker was when I learned that its a PLASTIC gear of all things. Hope its not melted. These types of clutches give out a hell alot of heat. Just have to find some vendors that stock and sell this type of clutch shoe springs. Will keep your suggestions in mind bakeneko.

Last edited:
Those red springs will not work with the stock 3 arm HS clutch. Many folks here go with the premium HS-142F clutch from staton-inc with the stock clutch/rotor bell. Here is the straight shaft version. Going this route is probably the best since you don't have to replace your rotor bell. Of course pick the right clutch that match your engine type.

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=667

I go the cheapo pocket bike clutch. It is much cheaper on eBay; you can find it for like $6-10 with shipping and I use the smaller pocket bike rotor bell. If you don't use the smaller pocket bike rotor, this clutch and springs will just be too inconsistent. You can also find replacement springs on eBay as well for like 3 for $3 or something. But, I've seen cheaper prices. I think if you buy from an overseas seller it can be as cheap as 3 for $1.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/47cc-49cc-...ash=item440dd904ab:g:5-0AAOSwB-tZ3nok&vxp=mtr

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Yeh, I bought that once. Then I went to eBay and bought like 20+ from overseas for the same price. But, note, overseas does mean it comes in 2-3 weeks and not within a week from domestic.

In the photo, I mentioned the dark debris matter thats all over the clutch. Was wondering if that can be cleaned up by using a carb cleaner.

Use carb cleaner and avoid breathing in any of that burnt asbestos dust. Most cheap clutches and brakes on cars still use asbestos in the pads, as do our clutch pads.

Back