HT engine mounting on huffy cranbrook

cavalierchristian

Local time
3:38 AM
Will I have to have any custom mounts for the huffy cranbrook when I go to mount my china ebay 66cc? I am pretty confident that it will mount to the verticle bar with no problem, but the horizontal bottom bar is pretty fat. Anyone have any difficulty out of the bottom bar? And if you did, what did you do to "customize" the mounting?
Thanks!
Matt

Cranbrook

I also have a Cranbrook coming to me. (Walmart Black friday, $69.95) And will need this information. Luckily, I know the perfect person to ask. He is known as Sgt. Howard on this site and has a real pretty Cranbrook that he is quite proud of. He's a good dude and I'm sure would be happy to answer any question you might have about Huffy Cranbrook's. Look him up. Or just do a search for Cranbrook on this site and I'm pretty sure you'll come up with all kinds of stuff.
Big Red.

Due to the front tube being curved, I recommend a front custom made mount. Without a custom mount the engine won't be seated on both tubes correctly. Here are some ideas, this way you can determine at what height you want to mount the engine. Higher if you need chain guard clearance, lower if no chain guard. Mount the engine on the seat tube then work with the front tube.

http://s982.photobucket.com/albums/ae309/Ron-Becker/Engine Mounting/

Last edited:
cavalierchristian, obviously a nooby here, a heads up ! Avoid drilling holes n the frame at all cost if possible. Especially aluminum frames.

OR, had you known that the bottom bar was fatter than the vertical bar, you could have bought an engine with a "big mount".
depending on who you bought (or will buy) your engine kit from, ask for one with a bigger front mount.
On e-bay (depending on the seller), you can find them with this mount and they are listed as "big mount" in the kit description most of the time.
With this engine there is no need for a special or modified engine mount.
scroll down and read # 14 in the description..I know,it's bgf, but this is just an example of what you need to find.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80CC-MOTOR-...067?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a16592bab

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
ok, so from what i gather i can just use an exhaust clamp in place of the usual hardware with the kit, correct? I didnt see an engine kit that offered a larger front mounting cup... ANy more help on this matter is greatly appreciated

Mount kit

Yeah bro, The auto muffler type clamp is the way to go on these. DO NOT fall for the drill a hole in your frame type. I've done it before ONLY as a last resort and NEVER on a nice bike. I've seen a clamp type with two clamps on it and can't remember where, I'll keep looking. I think it would just hold tighter. If I can't find it I'll just make one myself. Some steel plate, a couple of clamps and my drillpress, VIOLA, a motor mount. But if you don't have all that, Moto is right. you can just buy one on slease-bay in the BICYCLE ENGINE section.
Big Red

Last edited:
ok, so from what i gather i can just use an exhaust clamp in place of the usual hardware with the kit, correct? I didnt see an engine kit that offered a larger front mounting cup... ANy more help on this matter is greatly appreciated

Well, I bought an engine that has a bigger front mounting cup machined right into the crankcase. I actually had to modifiy the frame mount by welding a bigger diameter tube to for my occ chopper so this engine would fit.
They're out there, you just have to know how to find one and know what to look for.
The muffler clamp will work, but it won't be as clean looking in my opinion.

First they make (2) different front mounts that are mentioned. I also had to weld a front tube for the chopper I built for my son. Second the flat plate mount people are referring to is junk. I have one and just short of trashing it I will give it away (postage). The problem of using it is after you bolt the plate to the engine, you can't tighten the muffler clamp tight enough as the ends of the clamp come in contact with the engine case. For those of you that want to see what I'm talking about I'll snap some pictures.

The muffler clamp is really needed to be reversed and as you can see (in the attachments) it can't be done with this type of mount. The person I bought a bunch of parts even cut the clamp in hopes that there would be enough clamp to engine case clearance......nope.

Here are two another options... ....

Attachments

• MVC-034S.JPG
    MVC-034S.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 762
  • MVC-035S.JPG
    MVC-035S.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 881
Last edited:
red I saw the big clamp with two on it at kingsmotorbike but 15.00 is kinda high I think.I bought one a 8 months ago its nice if you need it.Hope this helps.

Back