HT engine whine normal?

atomicmiata

Local time
8:30 AM
newbie here,
the engine (HT 2 stroke 80cc boygo fast) sounds good when accelerating, but when I back off the throttle the engine whines something terrible like a piece of farm equipment!
is this normal?

thanks
steve in frderick, md

Normal is a relative term. The clutch side gears do whine a lot, at least they do on my bike and I have seen some worse than others. I might suggest that you open the clutch over and put small amounts of a good quality grease on the teeth of the gears. You can also check and see if the gears maybe rubbing on the cover, all mine have. You can also get a clutch cover, these can be made out of any sound deadening material or some have even used neoprene mouse pads. We also sell them on our site.

It doesn't sound particularly normal to me(IF it's excessive)
Take your clutch cover off the right-hand-side & make sure either of those 2 intermeshing gears arn't touching the inside of the cover(you'll see scrape marks if either gear is)......lube the gears while your there(grease mixed with graphite powder)
Dunno how many miles you've done but it takes around 200/250 to reach a level if consistency.

It doesn't sound particularly normal to me(IF it's excessive)
Take your clutch cover off the right-hand-side & make sure either of those 2 intermeshing gears arn't touching the inside of the cover(you'll see scrape marks if either gear is)......lube the gears while your there(grease mixed with graphite powder)
Dunno how many miles you've done but it takes around 200/250 to reach a level if consistency.

thanks.
I will look inside the clutch cover tomorrow.
only 50 miles so far...

NP man...Ghost0 said exactly the same thing but he's a quicker typist than me. :)

newbie here,
the engine (HT 2 stroke 80cc boygo fast) sounds good when accelerating, but when I back off the throttle the engine whines something terrible like a piece of farm equipment!
is this normal?

thanks
steve in frderick, md

whine/squeaking your hearing Is the cheap China Gears.

You can try different Things ..Gluing Mouse Pads Over the cover .
But
One of the best easy fix i do is .It wont fix in Completely BUT you will hear a noticeable improvement.

Here at Blue-Collar ..We call it a clutch Muffler :D

Take the 5 screws off the clutch cover Lay on a cardboard box.
Trace the outside of the Clutch cover and cut the inside of your trace.
Place inside And tighten all hardware. It will not do any damage or soak up grease from gears.
I have been doing this for over 6 years with pretty good results.
What your doing is taking up space the gears have to amplify the gear sound.
Sort of like A drummer Putting a pillow in a drum head.
picture.php

picture.php

Hope this helps.

Cheers:)

Bob

BlueCollarBike

That will work with some engine kits and not on others. There are 2 different castings for the clutch cover. One is narrow and one is wider. This will work on the wider one but not on the thinner ones.

That will work with some engine kits and not on others. There are 2 different castings for the clutch cover. One is narrow and one is wider. This will work on the wider one but not on the thinner ones.

Then you could use thinner Cardboard.
Like A pizza Box.:)
Clutch plate Being made of steel will dimple or place a imprint into the cardboard .
I have used different kinds of Motors and have yet seen one that did not have room for the thicker cardboard.
It is so simple and cheap it wouldn't hurt to cut a piece and give it a try.

hope this helps.

Cheers All:)

BlueCollarBob

For a lot of old car and motorcycle enthusiasts, gear whine is "nostalgic" and is accepted as normal. Considering that the design of these engines dates back to 50's, it isn't surprising that the gearbox isn't quiet as a mouse. Manufacturing tolerances are also apparently pretty wide, which doesn't help things out!

Back