HT kick start

james65

Local time
6:30 AM
I have been wanting to get around to this project for a while. My 5-speed cannot be bump started due to the design(my design). You can peddal start it (in an emergency) but not easy when the engine is cold.

So this bike is pretty much dependent on the pull starter. We all are aware that the HT pullstarters are weak. So the first part of the project was to make the pull start more dependable.

This was done by making a steel pawl, steel post and backer plate for the post. The post is also a weakness on the HT heavy duty pull start that is being marketed.

The reason for upgrading the pullstart is that this kickstart operates it.

Attachments

• kickstart 019.JPG
    kickstart 019.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 971
  • kickstart 021.JPG
    kickstart 021.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 875
  • kickstart 022.JPG
    kickstart 022.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 863
  • kickstart 044.JPG
    kickstart 044.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 833
  • kickstart 047.JPG
    kickstart 047.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,018
  • kickstart 059.JPG
    kickstart 059.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,791
  • kickstart 058.JPG
    kickstart 058.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,639
Nice job Jim, glad to see you've made a lot of progress. How's it working for you? I'd be happy with a pull start that was reliable. You know how many I've gone through! I have the same situation on my S'ray as you do with the difficulty pedal starting. Grandson and I are working on mine this winter using your design and going back to the 5 speed set up.
Larry

Nice job Jim, glad to see you've made a lot of progress. How's it working for you? I'd be happy with a pull start that was reliable. You know how many I've gone through! I have the same situation on my S'ray as you do with the difficulty pedal starting. Grandson and I are working on mine this winter using your design and going back to the 5 speed set up.
Larry

if the kick start works out for you, I'll ply you with beer and cigars to have you help me do one too... once I have a bike again, of course... (hopefully with my tax return)

ingenious....that comes under the heading of *why the heck didn't I think of that. :unsure:

thank you so much i have been looking everywhere for this. i am building one with my dad. is it reliable

The problem I see with the pull starts is that on diamond frame bikes they require a set of special cranks to clear the engine's extra width. This is not a solution for most users who are building bikes with cruiser or MTB framed bikes.

This kickstarter adds complexity, it's a novel approach granted, but when you add extra moving parts, especially ones powered by your leg it should be durable enough to last without stranding you.

Yes, This was just a project for the sake of doing it. It was so long ago that I had to look it over before understanding how it works LOL. Yes it did work properly, but I preferred the newer version of the pull start. People always complain about the pull starters, however I believe that @ one time or another they attempted to pull without holding the clutch in. That overloads the pull start and causes premature failure. I used a pull start on my 5 speed OCC for a few Yrs. without problem. Most of my custom builds require me to put an offset in the cranks!

Yes, This was just a project for the sake of doing it. It was so long ago that I had to look it over before understanding how it works LOL. Yes it did work properly, but I preferred the newer version of the pull start. People always complain about the pull starters, however I believe that @ one time or another they attempted to pull without holding the clutch in. That overloads the pull start and causes premature failure. I used a pull start on my 5 speed OCC for a few Yrs. without problem. Most of my custom builds require me to put an offset in the cranks!
Welcome back old timer :)

Back