HT leaking petrol/fuel cap

Stink Bike

Local time
5:14 PM
The fuel/petrol cap on my happy time 70cc tank is leaking.
Should I buy a replacement cap from my dealer Zbox or is there a better alternative that might be available in Sydney Australia?

Thanks
Mick

Leaking Cap

The "new" fuel caps on some websites are not supposed to leak but Warren is pretty-much on the ball like that...if he had a proper non leaking fuel cap we would have known about it by now.You could email him and see that he sayes...there might be an improved version.Mine leaks slightly and i havn't found any real solution.
cap.jpg

Mine leaked when I filled it with fuel almost up to the brim, when riding and the engine running.
Since then I only fill it up to the bottom of the neck/spout of the tank and had no problems since. Yes, I was surprisedd it leaked at all.
I have just come to accept these things now with the HT and hope in time all the bugs are ironed out, keep reading the forum's post, there's a fix for just about everything and it's gratefull to learn or re-hash simple mechanical skills.

I want a locking gas cap. That way no one makes off with it.
You would think if you doubled up on the rubber gasket under the gas cap it would help seal a bit better.

I want a locking gas cap. That way no one makes off with it.
Yes, agreed. It's on my agenda to. We have to see what model cars at the wreckers fit the tanks with locking caps.
Maybe a complete modification of the tank, where the top is cut off, and not only the locking cap is fitting and leak-proof, the tank it came from is cut off to, and welded on the HT tank.
That way you have a matching pair, tank spout and cap.
I knew I should have done that on the Merc before it went to scrap !
Anyway, some cars fill spout is connected by a rubber tubing to it's tank, so it will be simple to undo or cut the rubber tubing. Then all you do is cut and weld onto the HT tank.
Becareful when working with or welding petrol tanks. Fill it and rinse 3 times with water first.Allow to dry and add water again.
Hopefully the HT tank won't rust away by then. Consider this option if not sure.

I have doubled up on the rubber seal.Some times it works some times it don't.You may have to live with a half full tank of fuel.As for the tanks rusting you can line your tank with a product called Kleen,but it ain't cheap.

I believe the tank sealer is called 'KREEM'
not nit-picking...it will be easier to research/find if you have the right name

I tried looking for a gas cap. I told the parts guy that I was looking for a locking gas cap for a 426 HemiCuda. He just looks at me and says "Really?"
I was like "Naw but I know them holes are like this one" and showed him my cap.
Nevertheless,the idea was right,but it's just a little too big.
I'm looking at my tank and it seems a sleeve slides in the hole and is...it doesn't look welded on..maybe tacked on.
Then I'm looking at my cap and I'm thinking "How hard would it be to put a key thing in this like off a household door..then have some tags come out when locked.
But I only have one cap. But I would most definetly buy a locking one if someone figures this out.
Then I went to the motorcycle shop and forget it. I'm not paying 140 bucks for a locker I need to weld to fit.
I even checked lawnmower places and none of them lock.
You know,though. I COULD take an automotive plastic screw on locking cap and since it's plastic I could carve it down. The sheetmetal in the tank can act like new threads and if done right you can screw it on tight and therefore leakproof. Then when it's locked it just spins.
...but I may run into some problems when I try to take it off. I mean what if with the key in and locked to turn,it won't turn up to remove the cap?
Then that would be drama.
Then another thought involves covering the entire cap and have that cover lock down. Then no one can get to your cap.

I'm afraid this is going to be a question of trial and error(mostly error)....i'll try in a few automotive stores today but most of the locking fuel caps i've seen that look physically compatable are in sealed packages or their tamper proof in some other way.I suppose i could say to the salesman "let me open all those packages and at the end i might even buy one"..........i'm guessing his response. ;)

Back