HT muffler

snowdancer

Local time
4:07 AM
I was wanting to know if the muffler needs back pressure on a HT.

I was wanting to take a pipe and bend it down and to the back of the bike. and put like a car muffler or something like that on it to make it silent.

wow a car muffler???? you do realize that the standard car muffler has a 2" i.d. inlet and a 2" i.d. outlet right? The h.t. pipe is about 1 inch in diamater...I have no idea how you could adapt a car muffler to fit without it looking horrible. And then you'd have to figure out a way to support the weight of a car muffler (which weighs about the same as the entire engine on your bike).
Plus a car muffler would be overkill.
yes, you can bend a pipe to go all the way to the back of the bike, and a h.t. does need some back pressure.
BUT, consider this....
You would have to make a flange and weld it to the pipe, to bolt the pipe onto the engine OR cut off your stock muffler and weld a new pipe to the stock pipe to extend it.
all you need to do is weld the stock muffler back onto the extended pipe.
but if you want it silent, that won't do it.
OR you could just spend about $30.00 and buy a long pipe that's already made with a flange already welded on it AND it comes with a brand new stock muffler.

Thanks for the reply. I know a car muffler is too big but i was wanting something quite . I will just make a pipe to come back and try diff mufflers till i find what i am looking for.

Yes, they do! I blew up the rings on my first one because i ran a lawnmower muffler with wide holes and no baffler. :rolleyes:

I was wanting to know if the muffler needs back pressure on a HT.

I was wanting to take a pipe and bend it down and to the back of the bike. and put like a car muffler or something like that on it to make it silent.

Yes, they do! I blew up the rings on my first one because i ran a lawnmower muffler with wide holes and no baffler. :rolleyes:

no they dont!

ive ran without mufflers at all, with tuned pipes, straight pipes, pieces of old scrap iron... you name it. all kinds of engines.
the lack of exhaust "backpressure" doesnt affect the rings. something else does... it just happened to occur at the same time, playing with ya...

change backpressure to "correctly timed pulses of pressure, alternately negative then positive" then i will say... THEY NEED IT! if you want to go fast that is... ;)

Suit yourself. But on a side note, mufflers do a lot (to save your hearing, cut vibration, direct hot gasses, and keep from blowing up large glass doors and windows. :) )

Back