HT quit while riding ???

jmccrury

Local time
6:18 PM
I have a 49cc HT that I put together about a week and a half ago. I've only put a little over 30mi on it. The only problem I've had so far is that I stripped the threads out in the exhaust mount, but that's fixed. Anyways, I was driving home yesterday and everything seemed to be going good when suddenly the motor just lost power and died.

I've made sure that it's getting fuel, checked that the carb is functioning correctly, and disconnected the kill switch. It just sputters a little while I pedal, but that's it. I haven't got to check the spark plug yet so I'm going to do that when I get home this afternoon and I will post an update. Has anyone had this happen before?:confused:

I having the same problem. my motor just died... My kill switch is stock, but its connected to the blue and black wire, comming from the coil.

Also i check the spark plug it looks fine, but idk if it fouled becuase i just change it like 3 weeks ago.

but i will also change the sparkplug/wire.. and disconnect the kill switch and see what happens

You should be able to turn the motor over without the spark plug screwed in to see if it fires.

I did have a minute on my lunch break to take mine out and look at it. It's oily and gritty. I'm going to look around on here to see what it should look like. This afternoon I will have someone to help me check to see if it's working or not.

ok.. i check that..

my sparkplug wasnt oil nor gritty. it looked perfectly fine..

but anyways, hopefully my magneto or CDI inst bad.. how do i check the resistance of the magneto, what wires should i test, and wat should be the readings..

sorry for the hijacking

have you tried taking your plug out, hook the wire back to the plug, hold the body of the spark plug against the head.with the clutch lever engaged, hold the rear wheel off the ground, & either turn the pedal cranks, or the back wheel to make sure it spins. check the mag on the highest scale on resistance, if you get a reading it's probably ok.(you should be able to check the blue & black leads form the motor.) the cdi uses capacitance, but i don't know if you can check it like a capacitor.

Last edited:
Got it working.... What i did is that, i took the sparkplug out, and i put the boot on the sparklug, and place the sparkplug near the fins of the head. I locked the clutch in place, held up the back tire, and kicked my pedals like a kick starter... and Waaaaa laaaaaa... there was spark...

Right then and there i knew it was a fuel problem... Took off the float, and there was gas, so i look at the main jet ( nipple that covered the bottom half of the needle) and it was clogged with some blue RTV gasket stuff that i used to stop the carb from leaking earlier..

The Blue RTV gasket stuff was like goooie.. i think the gas melted it.

anyways is there like a gasket stuff that is resistant from gas, and y telfon tape eroded too. its there a replacement that will seal the threads, and gaskets that is resistant to gas

Glad to hear that you found the problem. There is gasket sealant that is resistant to gas/oil. I saw it in tractor supply a few days ago and it was only a few dollars for a small tube. I'm sure auto parts stores probably have it too.

i got some fiberized rubber gasket material at napa auto parts. i also used made 2 gaskets , & put them together to replace my gas cap gasket which leaked, & that worked too. i paid 9.00 for a roll, but it will last a long time.

I checked to see if it was firing last night and there was nothing. Not even with a new spark plug. Well, I say nothing, but there was a little something when I decided to ride it down the road really fast and try to start it. I could hear it fire a couple of times but that was it. I'm guessing the magneto is bad. Any other suggestions?:???:

Back