HT ZBOX F-50 install into Cruiser

It will get easier to start after you have done the 500k run in.
If it seems to be starving for air try loosening the petrol cap.If that fixs the problem you may need to drill a small hole in the cap to allow better air flow.

To reduce engine vibrations cut a sparkplug lead into 1/4" lenghs and jam it in between motor fins.This stops a lot of vibration and noise.

A very tidy build you have there mate.
mud guards round it off nicley =good1.
Regards Jase

Very nice build.
Hey I like the mud gaurds I want to get a set did you get them here in Aus??
I want to get a set.

Its going really well! Now I've done 150km's on it, and the head bolts have settled down, needing less frequent tightening to the proper torque spec. Had to replace the fuel line, as fuel makes that clear china spec line (in my pics) brittle and it fails with the vibration. Don't use it! Also removed the o-ring in the inlet manifold where the carb mates to it, as I discovered that the fuel softened it. Still seems to run the same without it with no air leaks.

The thin metal exhaust 'mount' that you strap the exhaust to the frame for support fractured from the vibration at the bolt hole. So I bought a galvanised steel gutter strap (for fixing a gutter down pipe on your house to the wall) and bent that up to use instead, and that is working much better. Much thicker metal and about three times the width. Also isolated it from the exhaust and frame using silicon 'rescue tape', which can withstand temps of 400 degrees celsius, and that dampens the vibration.

Had to play with the needle position to get the carb tuned perfectly, but now its pretty good. Also repositioned the chain tensioner and tightened it up (using lots of loctite) and that is also fine now. Now the teething troubles have been sorted it seems like its going to be fairly reliable, touch wood!

It cruises very comfortably at 25km/h, sits on 30km/h reasonably well, and I've had it up to 35km/h for a brief stint recently, where the motor just comes into its power band. Sounds like its working hard there though and you probably don't want to run it hard like this all the time. I'm careful not to let it over rev without fuel (closed throttle) when going down hill, and just pull in the clutch lever and coast down hills. Its good insurance.

Most people I see on the street have never seen a motored bike before and I get some amazing looks. One of my wife's friends whom I see pushing her baby around in a stroller occasionally just laughs when she sees me! :-( Kids in the street just stop and go 'wow' and wave! I rode it into town the other day for the scrutineering of the Australian Safari competitors (off-road motorbike desert race) and a couple of the service guys (I am one too) were very impressed and were going straight home to look up zbox.com.au! Funny how my 3hp motored bike drew more interest than the latest KTM 690 Rallye bike fully kitted up!

I'm lovin' it!

Last edited:
Back