HTS-2000 for repairing aluminum...

rossfree

Local time
3:55 PM
I don't normally advertise a product... but it seems people with aluminum engine blocks, aluminum mounting brackets and aluminum bikes, etc... need to know about this stuff.

HTS-2000 is low-temperature braising material for Aluminum. I've used it. And it works like you won't believe. I did a search on this forum and only found one obscure mention of it in one thread. This stuff is just to good to be hidden away.

It's not cheap... $65 for a pound plus shipping, but you don't usually need much of it anyway. The beauty of the stuff is you can weld small aluminum parts with a Mapp Gass torch. It melts around 750 degrees F... well below that of Aluminum (1300 degrees aprox). And the repairs YOU can make are likely stronger than a professional aluminum welder! I've repaired broken aluminum welds in our shop with this stuff and it just works! You can even rebuild broken mounting tabs or bosses that are stronger than the original part.

It can be tapped or even molded around steel threads. It's just amazing stuff.

There is a video of it on their website. Take a look and file this information away in your bag of tricks next time you are having trouble with your aluminum engine.

What brought this to mind was a thread that was just started talking about how the mounting threads were pulled out of the engine block of an engine. They're talking about filling it with JB weld and re-tapping it.

Well this stuff would give them stronger threads than were originally there.

To use it you "tin" both parts and then stick them together adding a bit more material. It's a bit clumpy and certainly not as pretty (when I do it) as a good aluminum welder but I can take a hammer to a couple of half inch pieces of aluminum and beat the crud out of it and the weld just doesn't break. I bend the aluminum all over the place but the weld is secure.

Imagine being able to put a mounting boss on the side of your engine block where there never was one before! It teases the imagination doesn't it!

Larger welds or thick aluminum parts (such as engine blocks) may require more heat than a Mapp gas torch can provide. For those repairs you may need acetaline.

Here's the website:

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/index.asp

You've got to use it to believe it. I've done a lot of demos at my house for my friends.

Happy motoring!

Ross

So say I want to cut my intake manifold and position it out to the side.... I could do it with this stuff? Instead of taking it down the block to the guy with a TIG welder?

Sure sounds like it to me. Check out the video on their website. It works just like they show it. If what you see in their video can be applied to what you want to do then do it.

But keep in mind... if you are welding to a large aluminum block... the block will suck the heat away from the welding zone. You'll need acetaline for that. but if you're trying to extend the manifold and can take it off while you do it... then mapp gas should do the trick. Propane is colder than mapp but for small stuff that will do fine too.

I don't have the need to weld aluminum often. I have a stick welder that I use for many of my steel projects. This stuff has given me a way to repair or build aluminum parts without investing in a lot of equipment and do it better than most good aluminum welds I can think of.

Happy trails!

Ross

I'm sorry,

Between what I have used at work and what I have already shared with my father I would really like to hold on to what I have left.

Maybe others on the forum would like to go into a buy with you.

Regards,

Ross

HTS-2000 on ebay...

Hey KiDD,

There's a guy selling HTS-2000 by the stick on ebay. Ha! And he's makin a killing! But for someone that only wants a few sticks it's probably worth it.

I would get 3 to 5 sticks for your job. That should give you enough to play with a bit until you're comfortable with the stuff.

Ross

Back