Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by RusticoRay, May 22, 2008.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. RusticoRay

    RusticoRay Guest

    Hi all, Does anyone have an answer to #4 complies with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards? Ive been in contact with the dmv and Im getting nowhere. Im wanting to build a bike that meets the first three but if I have to add all the lights and turn signals, horn, brake lighting I might have to reconsider the project. rmv keeps pointing to that second link but not informing me of what the federal motor vehicle safety standards are. Ive asked them to give a staight answer so as to avoid interpitation on the road side by some law inforcement official as unaware as I am now. thanks in advance for any clarity.

  2. loquin

    loquin Active Member

    Well, a bicycle is not a motor vehicle. Many states have gone the route of defining a motorized bike as a bicycle, and not a motor vehicle, subject to certain limitations, typically by defining a maximum motor size, power limit, and/or top speed.
  3. quay1962

    quay1962 Guest

    my advice don't head trip it, ride it like a bike, wear a helmet use arm signals have lighting system go with the flow of traffic and be seen...good luck and enjoy the ride.
  4. eljefino

    eljefino Member

    Bicycles are under the jurisdiction of the consumer product safety commission, you know, the guys who let lead paint get on kid toys etc.

    So therefore there are zero applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards, it is not their jurisdiction.

    As said above, the keystone is finding a MA law somewhere defining the bike as a bike.
  5. DougC

    DougC Guest

    Bicycles do not meet any of the federal motor vehicle classifications, and as such, cannot be considered motor vehicles according to any federal classification. Some states will allow {a bicycle with an engine added to it} be registered one way or another, but all do not provide this option.

    I notice that one of the pieces of info that the first PDF asks for is a VIN#, which is a standard format 17-digit serial number. Bicycles don't have these, only motorized vehicles that come that way from manufacturers can. So right there, your bicycle may not qualify for this at all.

    What you need to do is email your state's DMV and ask them this EXACT question: "If I attach a 1.5 hp motor to a bicycle myself, can I legally operate it on public roads?"

    You MUST specify that you are attaching an engine to a BICYCLE frame. The terms "motorized bicycle" and "moped" are not interchangable with what you are doing (putting an engine on a bicycle frame yourself). A "motorized bicycle" usually indicates a bicycle that came directly from the manufacturer with an engine already attached. A moped indicates a 50cc motor cycle that meets federal roadworthiness standards (tires, wheels, brakes, headlights, brake light, plate illumination and that comes with a 17-digit VIN# on its frame).
  6. Buzzter

    Buzzter New Member

    I'm having the same problem in MN. MNDOT is refusing to title/regisater my bike because it does not have a FMVSS sticker on it. I looked into the FMVSS website but did not find specifications relating to this one.
  7. RusticoRay

    RusticoRay Member

    Although the form in Ma. asked for a VIN# they dont require a Title so I think the prossesing of mopeds is different. I never did get an answer from DMV. I registered it as a moped but Im pretty sure it doesnt meet the standards for a Motor Vehicle. Ive been riding it since June and I think the sticker on the back helps although I paid 40.00 for two years I dont think I need it. Now Im pretty sure my 08 Whizzer NE5 meets the standards for a Motor Vehicle but its over on the 50cc requirement but again I registered it as a moped because nowhere on the paperwork does it say how many cc it is, just 1.96hp. Although one measures volume and the other power I read somewhere that as a reference 15-17cc's = 1hp Ill justify it any way I can. Im taking a ride and have fun attitude much like Quay1962 suggested.
  8. loquin

    loquin Active Member

    Most states also have provisions to issue VIN numbers for home-built vehicles.
  9. I have yet to register my bike(s) but I've heard that they will let you use the bike serial number as your VIN here in MA. To get my lights and signals and *&*&^%^%$ I purchased a cheap set off eBay specifically made for bikes- it's all LED. I'm not sure that will get you around the requirements. I read in another thread that they don't inspect the bike.... so....
  10. tsal

    tsal New Member

    I am in MA and have been researching this for some time now. From what I have found out, YES, they DO comply with #4 on the MA Motorized bicycle application. "complies with all APPLICABLE Federal Motor Safety Standards". The key word here is "APPLICABLE"

    If you read the individual Federal Standards, it lists which vehicles each particular standard pertains to. For instance, Motorcycles are not listed under Standard No. 104 (windshield wipers). For lights look at standard 108.

    "Standard No. 108 - Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment - Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks, Buses, Trailers, (except pole trailers and trailer converter dollies), and Motorcycles."

    Motorized bicycles & mopeds are not listed, so standard 108 is not applicable.
    And so on. You get the idea.
    Hope this Helps
  11. tsal

    tsal New Member

    17-digit serial numbers are standard for newer vehicles. However, many older vehicles had less than 17. I have an antique motorcycle with 6 digits. MA titled it no problem with only the 6. Your serial number is your VIN, so you must list it on the application exactly as it appears on the car/motorcycle/moped. Do not add extra digits.
    Hope this helps.