Huasheng 4 stroke keeps wanting to die

Status
Not open for further replies.

artmaker

Local time
7:22 PM
Hi biker folk,

So… last year I converted my 2 stroke to a 4. I didn't even get a full season of rides before the piece of junk transmission that came with it from DAX failed. (never buy from that guy.)
So ok, new heavy duty clutch, brand new transmission, new chain (different gear ratio) then whole new rear wheel as my bearings were shot.
So the motor itself is still what I would consider new. Certainly everything attached to it is.
I dumped out last years gas, gave it fresh…. all should be good right?
Spring is here, been out for several rides.
This thing is a royal pain to get started. Pull pull pull….
But finally got it going. Seemed ok, but most of the time if I come to a stop say at a light, or even flying down a long hill and let off the throttle, the darn motor quits.
Not as hard to restart once it's warm…. but it shouldn't be quitting like this.

I'm no mechanic… learning as I go here.
Before I start frustrating myself, best to post here. you guys surely have dealt with this.
I did read a thread already someone posted about his same motor not starting at all. Came down to a clogged fuel jet? So taking mine all apart is not out of my mind all together.
Still mine is so new yet…. hoping this is some simple adjustment somewhere.

(my old 2 stroke gave me fits once… came down to a minor fuel mix adjustment screw and some good gas.
Already did the good gas thing…. don't see any such adjustment screw on mine though.)

Give me a list of what to try first.

Go.

Your main jet is located above the bolt holding the bowl on the bottom of the carb. Your idle jet is located under the brass plug on the left side of the carb nearest the engine. Drill a small hole in the plug and use a wood screw to remove it, thread till it gets stuck then use vice grips to twist while pulling out. Look up idle tuning while you are at it.

I need visuals. Tried looking this up on youtube. No luck at all. (I can usually find just about anything there.)
I don't see any brass plugs. (spotted this in another thread, but mine???)
I'll go take another look tomorrow, maybe post a picture of my motor.

OK, got the carb off. I actually did find a youtube video of my specific motor.
Huasheng 4 stroke titan.

Questions before I mess this up.
In the video I found, look at photo 1 here. My thumb is over a hole that had a plug with small O ring, got that out, and inside here is a jet. Cleaning this one jet is what was recommended when the motor won't stay running or idol. But in the video he had the piece out by itself.
Well fair enough….
My question now are the gaskets on both sides. DARN they are glued on good and tight and look flimsy as all get out. Before I go and attempt to get them off in one piece, do I really have to?
And if so, any tips on how to remove them and not ruin them?
Lastly, assuming I do ruin them, if anyone knows where to get more… please post that. I may as well order that now, seems sooner than later I'll be repeating this whole process.

Also that bowl (now that I know what it is. lol) Is on good and tight. I'm sure if I could really grab this whole part I could get it off BUT not with those gaskets there. No way to grasp this assembly without crushing them. See the last picture, I already started to crimp one and stopped. So again…. gaskets…. UNLESS I can just blast this with carb cleaner, or poke a wire right down that hole????

Last…. second picture shows an actual adjustment screw AND what looks like this brass plug that in another thread was suggested to drill it out?
My thinking here, it's covered for a reason. And what does that screw adjust? (there is a spring just under it's head.) I left it be since this motor ran just fine until the jet got clogged.
I'm sure that's what the issue is now. TEENY TINY holes in those things. Yikes.

One last thought, before putting this to bed in winter, what's the best suggestion for a last step? I did nothing last year. Changed the old gas come spring.
I do have some stuff for small motors to over winter, never actually used it though. Would that prevent jets from clogging?
What about something like heat? Would that help keep this jet clear without the need to do a full carb job?

IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG

more…. I actually found a gasket kit https://www.gasbike.net/products/4-stroke-gasket-kit
Called them, and they are "not mechanics."
They did suggest a heat gun MIGHT loosen the ones I have. I've got a heat gun so will try it.
Lets jump ahead to my ultimately ruining these… when I order more (and if anyone has a link to just the TWO gaskets I actually need for less money please post it.)
When putting new gaskets on, obviously these were glued in. WHAT do I get? Same stuff for cars? Or does this get too hot?
what?

One last thought…. talking to a shop that builds bikes, they suggested dumping a can of "START" into the gas. Guy said he swears by it. Clean out the carb, jets etc without dismantling everything.
I'm heading out to pick some up. And some gasket sealer. Gonna try to remove the gaskets, heat gun and good sharp straight blade are the best suggestions.
But if a can of stuff once a year keeps this clear, sure sounds easier.

In fact, thinking about this as I type, I just might leave the gaskets alone and put it all back together, try this first.
Any thoughts???

HA! Progress….
I did NOT try to remove the gaskets or bowl. I did poke a very fine wire (one strand off an old brake cable.) Into the hole that plug came out of. Then shot some carb cleaner into that hole and it blasted right out no problem.
Picked up the last two cans of START lowes had. Guessing I have just under 2 gal in my tank, put 3/4 of the stuff in it. I'll probably just dump in the rest. (I really need to make myself a dip stick so I can tell how much gas I actually have in there.)

Anyway, look at my third photo there. That IS some kind of mixture adjustment screw. It was almost all the way out. (Might just do that with all the vibration. Once I find the perfect spot I'll mark it with a sharpie or something.) I got the motor running and turning that screw in a bit increases the idol.
I played and played, pretty sure I found the sweet spot. Took a spin around town, no more dying when I coast, but my top speed dropped by 1-2 kilometers. Not a big deal but still. Wish I knew what I was adjusting.
Bike did just fine, until I got back and came to a dead stop. It died again. Started up easy enough but clearly something still isn't quite right.
Now a spin around town isn't much. (Two square blocks.) I don't know how much of that START stuff it takes to clear everything.

Now what exactly does that screw adjust? In, seems to increase the idol, out and it wants to keep dying.

One last thing to point out, when the motor is on, and bike rear wheel is up in the air on it's kickstand, that wheel is turning. NO matter where the screw is.
Hitting the brake will stop it and obviously stopping stops it. While I was fooling with the adjustment, I can tell you when I stop the wheel completely, I can hear the motor dip as if it want's to die, then something must kick in and keep it going. (I spotted a youtube video about this, will go watch it later.) So maybe what ever mechanism that is, is what's sticking?
But at least my dying is limited to complete stops. And only that one time. I revved it up and hit the brake many times while it was on the kickstand fiddling with the screw and it does fine. Only one death rather than every time I let off the gas so I'm quite pleased with myself right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back