Huasheng 49cc vs. Honda GX35?

bikejock

Local time
9:40 AM
Hey all, I'm thinking of doing an engine swap for a Honda GX35 to replace my Huasheng 49cc I got currently on my Staton Inc. FDR bike. Does anyone here have experience with both these engines? if so, what are the pros and cons between the two engines? I was thinking of doing this engine swap to reduce weight and improve reliability. I have the FDR kit using the largest drive roller they got so that should help with top speed even if I go down 14ccs in engine size.

Well, both engines have somewhat similar power. I don't think a GX35 is much of an improvement in reliability, however. The Chinese Honda clones are very capable.

The GX35 is more compact and lighter, of course. Considering you're using a friction drive system, you might find the GX35 to be superior for your application.

That makes sense. Just found out the bolt pattern surrounding the clutch on the GX35 is a match so it should fit like a glove. With the Huasheng 49cc on there it does feel significantly heavy especially with my 64 oz gas tank on there and filled up. Had it tip over on me while I was working on it the other day. Guess I should get a center kick stand to prevent that.

A center stand would definitely help. I've run a Crow Cycle Co center stand on my bike for a few years now, it's an excellent piece. Heavy duty.
The GX35 is roughly 4-5lbs lighter than a HS49, so that would reduce the chance of your bike falling over, too.

Looking at the torque specs of the GX35 makes me think you might lose as much as 33% of your power, tho.
http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gx35
http://engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/gxh50

Having used both the HS49 and GXH50, the GXH50 is about 5-10% more powerful than the HS49. Not much, but it's noticeable.
You might just want to try a center stand first to see if that satisfies you, rather than sidegrade/downgrade your engine.

Ah I see. Based on RPM estimates & my drive roller size, it looks like I can go at least 20-25 mph easily with the GX35 which is good around my area because I stick to bike paths anyway and most roads have a posted speed limit of 25 mph.

I would get a GX50 for more power but they are ridiculously expensive compared to the GX35. I usually see the GX50 go for $400 and a clutch kit is an extra $120. I'm also trying to keep the weight down as much as possible while maintaining moderate power. The GX35 seems good for that.

Hey all, I'm thinking of doing an engine swap for a Honda GX35 to replace my Huasheng 49cc I got currently on my Staton Inc. FDR bike.
I have the FDR kit using the largest drive roller they got so that should help with top speed even if I go down 14ccs in engine size.
You will sure fell the power loss.
Be prepared to pedal a lot.

What is wrong the HS 49 you have?
Just running poorly?
Adjust your valve rockers to .04mm on the carb side and .06mm on the exhaust side, and drop in an NGK 7544 (CR7HIX) Iridium spark plug.

I would get a GX50 for more power but they are ridiculously expensive compared to the GX35.
I usually see the GX50 go for $400 and a clutch kit is an extra $120.
I'm also trying to keep the weight down as much as possible while maintaining moderate power.
I am no fan of any rack mounted engine, especially friction drives, but I'd go the other way.
Keep the power and change the carb from a gravity feed to a suction type and put your tank in the center cavity below the wheels center point of gravity.
2 birds with one stone for cheap.

Nothing wrong with my HS49 KC, just want something less bulky and lighter that would basically last forever & Honda is more known for reliability than Chinese brand engines. For A daily commuter bike I would want a Honda engine. Can't really do anything in frame with my mountain bike because my frame is way too small so a rear mounted engine & gas tank is my only option for this project. Might use my HS49 for a go kart project someday.

Nothing wrong with my HS49 KC, just want something less bulky and lighter that would basically last forever.
Change the oil regularly and they run a long time, but wear is wear.

You know you could always go with an electric shifter for ~$650.
SickBikeParts has a 48V system for $325.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ucts_id=181&osCsid=9v16vtndtm6qavbu88m2i48td0

Put a $325 'water bottle' battery in the frame mounted on the frames water bottle holder mount and you have a light, quite, and clean MB that is not top heavy.

2_HisHersElectrics-HisDoneL-1280.jpg

It has more power than a 35cc and it uses your pedal gears in the drive.
Gears change everything.

The downside is range.
The higher the Amp Hours (Ah rating) the farther you can go, roughly 1-2 miles per Ah.
Help it with some pedaling and you can far exceed that.

Just another option to a gas engine on the back rack.

That 'water bottle' E bike is interesting but as I said I can't do anything in-frame with the bike I'm using. Ironically I ended up with the mountain bike with the smallest frame size. I also want good range & a 35cc with a 64oz gas tank can go much further than any E bike. Might not go faster but 20-25 mph is faster than I can go pedaling. Oil changes will be easier with a friction drive set up. When it was on my in frame bike I had to unbolt the engine in order to drain the oil. With a friction drive I can leave the engine bolted to the bike durring the oil change.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back