Huasheng clutch pads wearing down quickly

Local time
2:12 PM
Hello all,

I've had my huasheng for about a year now with about 1500 miles. I take extremely good care of it. Oil changes every 250 miles, I clean it about every week, and make sure everything stays tight. There is two things that have been getting in the way lately. That is the gearbox and clutch pads. I have replaced the hoot gearbox at 350 miles, 700 miles, and so far I got a good one that has lasted this far. I have replaced the clutch pads every 150-200 miles as the springs will usually break or pop off and as I check it to put the springs back on, there is black powder everywhere and my clutch pads are just bare metal. It is getting quite expensive with a new clutch all the time and a hoot gearbox every once in a while considering I bike 20-30 miles a day. I have a 66cc ht 2 stroke too and let me tell you I love the 4 stroke but I seem to be having more issues with the 4 stroke.

I always pedal to at least 10 mph before I give it gas so why are my clutch pads not lasting?

I have the hoot transmission too with over 2.5k miles. There are three main problems and points you need to consider.

1. From my understanding, the clutch bell provided on all of these kits has too large a diameter for the 3-arm clutch. This causes undue stress on the clutch pads and springs. Your springs are probably popping for this reason. When they pop they become mangled in the clutch bell and pads, and this obliterate your clutch pads hence the black powder. Once the clutch pads are gone; this messes up the rest of your springs because of more increased heat.

There seems to be two solutions to this. One, you can buy a larger premium clutch from Staton Inc. Many HS-142F riders here do that and have no problem going forward. Two, I had a spare pocket bike clutch bell that has a smaller diameter and replaced it with that and still use the 3-arm clutch. Thus far no spring pops and no problems.

2. Clutch pads and springs are the least of your worries. The hoot transmission single chain is going to stretch to the point where it will fall off the gears. I fixed this by putting in an internal chain guide and tensioner using a bolt and a hard plastic bushing and then just over greased it with chain grease. There are other ways of course.

3. You can buy cheaper 3-arm clutch and springs on eBay for pocket bikes. The metal is slightly worse but once you replace the clutch bell for a properly sized one it is fine. Remember pocket bike take off from a stand still while we take off from ~8mph so pocket bike equipment is fine. The cost for a clutch is like $6-8 and springs are like $0.15 per spring on eBay in bulk. Not that you will need it if you replace the clutch bell or you can avoid all that work and just get the Staton Inc bigger clutch.

Many people look down on the hoot box, which is fine because it does have out of the box eventually problems. But, with like $15-25 worth of parts it becomes reliable. Even less if you have good mechanic and tool knowledge.

I have the hoot transmission too with over 2.5k miles. There are three main problems and points you need to consider.

1. From my understanding, the clutch bell provided on all of these kits has too large a diameter for the 3-arm clutch. This causes undue stress on the clutch pads and springs. Your springs are probably popping for this reason. When they pop they become mangled in the clutch bell and pads, and this obliterate your clutch pads hence the black powder. Once the clutch pads are gone; this messes up the rest of your springs because of more increased heat.

There seems to be two solutions to this. One, you can buy a larger premium clutch from Staton Inc. Many HS-142F riders here do that and have no problem going forward. Two, I had a spare pocket bike clutch bell that has a smaller diameter and replaced it with that and still use the 3-arm clutch. Thus far no spring pops and no problems.

2. Clutch pads and springs are the least of your worries. The hoot transmission single chain is going to stretch to the point where it will fall off the gears. I fixed this by putting in an internal chain guide and tensioner using a bolt and a hard plastic bushing and then just over greased it with chain grease. There are other ways of course.

3. You can buy cheaper 3-arm clutch and springs on eBay for pocket bikes. The metal is slightly worse but once you replace the clutch bell for a properly sized one it is fine. Remember pocket bike take off from a stand still while we take off from ~8mph so pocket bike equipment is fine. The cost for a clutch is like $6-8 and springs are like $0.15 per spring on eBay in bulk. Not that you will need it if you replace the clutch bell or you can avoid all that work and just get the Staton Inc bigger clutch.

Many people look down on the hoot box, which is fine because it does have out of the box eventually problems. But, with like $15-25 worth of parts it becomes reliable. Even less if you have good mechanic and tool knowledge.
Bakaneko, Your research is amazing. First class engineering !
But why not bite the bullet so to speak and purchase.
https://www.grubee.net/collections/...our-own-kit/products/4g-model-1a-transmission
My Huffy is going to get one as soon as I finish the Sportsman Flyer80.

If you get a 56+ tooth rear sprocket you'll take off from a standstill and increase clutch lifespan. You'll loose some top end speed but increase acceleration. The hoot reduction with the stock 44 tooth churns your clutch till over 15 mph.

I can't find a decent HS 4 clutch pad replacement video anywhere. I mean......,do you have to take out the whole clutch to replace change the pads ??

_

Clutch shoes are the pads and metal support frame and spring attachment points.
Tom from Rubicon

I thought that the pocket bike clutch was interchangeable with the huasheng I guess I'm right. So you could put the huasheng transmissions on pocket bike engines too and have a 2 stroke with a centrifugal clutch. I haven't had my 79cc bike that long but the chinese clutch is crap I can hear it slipping my 2 stroke bike im building will probably be faster. I know they make racing clutches for the pocketbikes.

Last edited:
Back