Huasheng off kilter

wrenchin 4 fun

Local time
7:25 AM
Has anyone tried running a 142F at an angle. I've done it with old Briggs engines with no problems and am thinking since the HS has a splash lube system, it would survive too. Any thoughts?

Has anyone tried running a 142F at an angle. I've done it with old Briggs engines with no problems and am thinking since the HS has a splash lube system, it would survive too. Any thoughts?

Depending on how much of an angle we are talking about, +/- 5 degrees shouldn't affect anything, Both the briggs and the 142 are splash systems.

I would make sure the oil is topped up so it had enough for the rod to touch down on it. Main issue is going to be making sure the carburetor float doesn't try to flood itself out or lean out the system.

How much of a angle you talking about? Got any pics of what you are working on, so we can check it out. We may possibly get a better understanding of the project & be able to offer up better advice.

The carb is held level by a custom mount on the jackshaft frame. It was a trial in patience to get it angled just right. The carb is connected to the intake through a rubber boot made from 7/8" radiator hose.

Engine starts on first pull and runs fine with this setup. Bought a quart of Rotella today. Couldn't find 10w/30 so I got 15w/40. It gets pretty hot here and maybe the extra viscosity will keep the oil from thinning out on long rides.

Meanwhile, I fabricated an exhaust from a small Briggs muffler and some pipe. Will upgrade later on. Any recommendations? I had a nice Phantom pipe but I gave it away last year after I recovered from Covid ( covid-induced insanity).

This afternoon I tore everything down to paint the engine mount and jackshaft frame. My 5" jackshaft no longer works because the HS is wider than the Chinagirl it's replacing. My new 8" threaded shaft should arrive on Wednesday and I can put everything back together for a test ride, If I can get my Whizzer type engager clutch fabricated in time.

I don't need a real clutch since I can shift through my gears on the fly by just backing off of the throttle. Going to use a belt on the primary from the engine to the input side of the jackshaft with a simple swing arm engager installed, and a second belt on the output side to the jackshaft to the SBP freewheel. It should smooth things out and quiet the thing down.

I had a Whizzer several years ago and the simple engager clutch worked fine once it was properly adjusted and I got use to it. I have to re-learn how to calculate gearing using pulley diameter instead of teeth. Updates and photos later.

The carb is held level by a custom mount on the jackshaft frame. It was a trial in patience to get it angled just right. The carb is connected to the intake through a rubber boot made from 7/8" radiator hose.

Engine starts on first pull and runs fine with this setup. Bought a quart of Rotella today. Couldn't find 10w/30 so I got 15w/40. It gets pretty hot here and maybe the extra viscosity will keep the oil from thinning out on long rides.

Meanwhile, I fabricated an exhaust from a small Briggs muffler and some pipe. Will upgrade later on. Any recommendations? I had a nice Phantom pipe but I gave it away last year after I recovered from Covid ( covid-induced insanity).

This afternoon I tore everything down to paint the engine mount and jackshaft frame. My 5" jackshaft no longer works because the HS is wider than the Chinagirl it's replacing. My new 8" threaded shaft should arrive on Wednesday and I can put everything back together for a test ride, If I can get my Whizzer type engager clutch fabricated in time.

I don't need a real clutch since I can shift through my gears on the fly by just backing off of the throttle. Going to use a belt on the primary from the engine to the input side of the jackshaft with a simple swing arm engager installed, and a second belt on the output side to the jackshaft to the SBP freewheel. It should smooth things out and quiet the thing down.

I had a Whizzer several years ago and the simple engager clutch worked fine once it was properly adjusted and I got use to it. I have to re-learn how to calculate gearing using pulley diameter instead of teeth. Updates and photos later.
Yes, pictures; many of us are getting old.

Confirmed that I am the worst painter on the planet today while spraying my engine mounting plate and jackshaft frame. It definitely matches the color of my bike, dribbles, streaks, and all. Also fabricated a new seat mount from an aluminum walker I picked up at a thrift store for $5. Finally, was able to fabricate a new aluminum mounting plate for my key switch and speedometer.

Going out of town tomorrow to work on my sister-in-laws Jeep, so the paint should be dry when I get back on Thursday night. My new jackshft should be in the mailbox by then as well so I can re-assemble everything on Friday. Barring suggestions on an exhaust system, I'll use the one I have with the B & S muffler. Has anyone thrown a Bing or NT on a HS?

The stock carb works great, but it's tempting to go with a more "motorbike friendly" style. Would love to go with a 19mm diaphram carb with low speed and high speed adjustments, but they cost a fortune. Those of you who are getting old following my thread, hang on a little longer and I'll get some photos out to you, hopefully by the weekend. I'm anxious as heck to find out how a HS operates with a 7-speed gear system.

Finished up the wiring harness today and returned my second jackshaft. Can you believe an Amazon vendor sent the wrong shaft twice in a row, even after I emailed to ask them to check and make sure the correct item was sent. They ended up paying return shipping on two items because someone in shipping is asleep at the switch.

Anyway, here are some photos of my incomplete conversion from Chinagirl to HS 142F. As the photos show, the engine is mounted at a forward slant similar to the old Whizzers. Everything works properly including the engine, the lights, the horn, and the ignition key.

A standard HS exhaust is on its way from Bike Berry (Like everything, they're costing a pretty penny these days). I might fabricate a 28.5 inch Quinton upgrade after I get my welder for my birthday.

Once I get my longer jackshaft from Affordable Go Karts to accommodate the wider engine, I'll design the pulleys and Whizzer-type idler clutch for the drive side. It will operate from the locking clutch lever to make shifting "close at hand" and non-distracting.

A 415 chain drives the secondary to the shift kit sprocket. I haven't even ridden this thing yet and I'm already wondering why I ever installed a Chinagirl with all its drawbacks. Still have to install 26" fenders. The ones on the bike are 24 inchers and don't fit quite right.

Finally, thinking about adding a small sealed battery and regulator to even out the lights. I put one on my last build and it worked really well even though my home made lighting coils only generate a couple of amps, plenty to keep a battery charged.

After I get it running again I'm sure it'll take hours to tweak the design. For example, the air filter sticks out too far and needs a 45 degree elbow to swing it in toward the frame for better clearance. And like Diesel Tech, I might experiment with carbs better configured for this application. Anyway, thanks for your interest.

Attachments

• Whizzer format 1.jpg
    Whizzer format 1.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Whizzer format 2.jpg
    Whizzer format 2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Whizzer format 3.jpg
    Whizzer format 3.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Whizzer format 4.jpg
    Whizzer format 4.jpg