Huasheng/Titan/Honda 49cc Electrical System.

This shouldn't be a probem, fetor. IF the coil were some sort of secondary coil, where shorting it wouldn't kill the engine, then it WOULD be a problem. The amount of current would cause the coil to eventually heat up & fry.

However, when you short out the coil, the motor stops spinning in a few seconds. There isn't enough time (or current) to cause the whole coil to heat up enough to cause any damage. If 3 watts is the upper limit before the engine is affected, 6 watts should be enough to kill the engine. So, we'll assume 10 watts. Take a look at a 10 watt florescent bulb - place you hand around the bulb and base, and turn it on. How long before your hand gets warm? A minute? 5 minutes? The amount of mass to heat up is about the same as a coil of wire. Plus, the coil of wire is wrapped around a lump of laminated steel. There's a LOT of mass there, and not much power to heat it up...
loquin Thank You for this. I was a bit worried too but then I also noticed the cdi and coil is the same unit. Nevertheless I still use the choke to shut her down. It's cooler that way. To the average person staring at me it makes me look like I know stuff and that makes me fly. :D

Watch out for the kill switch, as it could prevent the engine from starting if one of the wires is grounded to the frame. If not, connect one wire to the magneto and the other to the engine ground. If one of them is grounded connect the open wire to the mag and the other to the ground. Regarding lights, I am close to a solution, but it is not a low cost solution, and requires some reengineering of your set-up. As soon as I finish testing and filing a provisional patent, I will post the solution with pics. MIke S

Thanks Eltertator, butI can't really understand that image. I just want to use the existing on\off switch and link the kill switch to it. Then in the near future I'll get an auto electrician to put in a proper switch on the handlebars.

It's really simple. Two wires. One of the wires is ground.

One switch.

It doesn't matter how it goes. The switch connects the two wires together.

Each wire goes to the switch wether it's black,red,green or fushia.

Yea fector I was a bit haunted by that ground wire too. In fact I RARELY push that button. I always shut it off by flipping the choke.
It's a Happy Time thing. There really should be a name for this condition.
Lets see.....Happytimafobic...naw....chinatwostrokaholimbia?
I think it would be hard to tap into this engine because the coil and CDI is one unit!
I would just get a wheel generator or something.. make the wheel larger so it will spin less thereby ensuring a longer life. Then supplement with a battery you find in them kid electric plastic cars you see in Wally World and everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not overly concerned about it man cos i've got a dyno front brake & i'm just mounting the headlight/ignition switch now while waiting for my Titan kit to arrive.I'm just curious about the whole setup & if it can be modified/improved.
Running lights are a big safety thing with me as i ride early morning when it's dark & quiet & no-one around to bother ya.

Back