Huashengtaishan 49cc Revs high and dies on startup

OddATee

Local time
8:31 AM
Hey there. I have a Flying Horse (Huashengtaishan) engine kit that I built onto a Scott about 2 years ago. Outside of the, "it's my first time build issues" things have been going well. At the end of last fall the engine went wonky. It revved really high and then would just die. It will idle for a bit if I have it choked, but as soon as i open the choke it revs to full RPMs and dies. I have about 250 miles on the engine with no prior issues. I changed out the stock muffler/catalytic converter about 3 week before it started acting up. I pulled it out to day and have been tinkering around, but I don't really know where to start. Any ideas would be really helpful.

Last edited:
Theres a plastic idle jet located under the black plastic idle adjustment screw. Most of the time that is the culprit due to gasohol. There's a jet that needs a fine wire to clean it out. I used a wire from a fine brass brush I had and it worked. The jet body is plastic and easy to mangle up, so be careful and patient when removing it. Also there's 2 metric Orings around it if they're torn or hardened will need to be replaced. Squirt some lube and let it soak awhile before attempting to remove and use a twisting motion to do so. That jet cannot be bought anywhere that I know of so a new carb is in order if its mangled up. A honda gxh50 carb jet will work if needed and can be ordered by itself. The jet diameter is way bigger but the 144f will run great w/it. I know cuzz I've done it. Good luck.

darwin,

Thanks for responding. I will check it out. Also, thanks for the warning about being careful and patient.

darwin,

That worked perfectly! She is purring like a kitten (well as much as that engine can). Thanks for your help!

Back