Hub adapter Sprocket bolts keep coming loose

KTOKTO

Local time
12:10 AM
Hello, I purchased a hub adapter like this on ebay. I think it is the one from gasbike.

4100_large_d3e75736-3f24-4f27-a067-a29dd2db446a_large.jpg

Twice now I have had one or more of the 3 bolts that hold the sprocket on to the adapter work their way loose while riding.

I am using blue locktite on them but they have still worked loose. I am wondering should I try using the red locktite?

I am a little worried about using the red since I have broken bolts off in the past trying to remove them while using the red. I guess I never tried using heat to remove them though.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Everything looks to be lined up and centered nice, it's just the vibration from the motor is causing the bolts to work their way out over time.

Do the bolt holes go all the way through? Maybe you could get longer bolts and double nut the inside + threadlocker too.
I have just ordered mine (Chinese version) so haven't had a proper look at it yet.

Do the bolt holes go all the way through? Maybe you could get longer bolts and double nut the inside + threadlocker too.
I have just ordered mine (Chinese version) so haven't had a proper look at it yet.

No the holes dont go through. but I guess I could drill them out and tap and try your idea. I might try the red locktite before I go that far though.

10mu1ao.jpg

No the holes dont go through. but I guess I could drill them out and tap and try your idea. I might try the red locktite before I go that far though.

10mu1ao.jpg
That sounds good if you have a drill stand. There's also more than a few different loctite formulas, I think there'll definitely be something in between royal blue (243?) threadlocker and the red stuff (263?). You might have a job getting them back out if you put the red loctite on and the whole thing is trapped inside your wheel.

Last edited:
might want to take a small drill bit and start a pilot hole from the back and widen it out a bit, just enough to get a longer bolt through from the right end, it's aluminum, it should thread pretty easy if you're gentle.
I have one of my hub adapter legs i had to do this with, the last 1/4 inch of the threaded tube was filled and my screw wouldn't go all the way in.
There is a Medium loctite stuff that is better than the Blue stuff but not as unforgiving as the Red stuff.

2mm of thread may take you where you need to be, you just never know. Drilling from the back will allow you to slowly get to the thin point where your bolt will break through cleanly.

Have you been setting them in with an impact driver to be sure they are tight?

There is a Medium loctite stuff that is better than the Blue stuff but not as unforgiving as the Red stuff.

Ya, I think the green is a medium that can be released with heat. I might try that first.

Have you been setting them in with an impact driver to be sure they are tight?

No, I have been using a ratchet since I didn't want to strip out the aluminum. Once it warms up again I will try this with the green loctite and see how it goes.

in case you would sometime want to get it off, I'd do one try with just the impact first

I'm having the same problem with this adapter. Luckily I noticied the bolts had almost unscrewed both two times, otherwise there could have been some injures :) Though I don't have a drill stand nearby, I'd try a red locktite indtead (I dont't think I'll be going to take off the sprocket any time soon, and I can also use a heat fan just in case). Going to get back with results later.

- From Russia with love, Alex

Back