Hub adapter. Will it breed?

INTP_ty

Local time
11:45 PM
I love my rag joint set up. At half moon, I can damn near breed my spokes. Chain line is as tight as an arrow. Nice & close.

I want to pick up one of those CNC hub mounts, but worried it’ll stick out further...

I’m near positive this will be the case but hopefully someone can say other??

I love my rag joint set up. At half moon, I can damn near breed my spokes. Chain line is as tight as an arrow. Nice & close.

I want to pick up one of those CNC hub mounts, but worried it’ll stick out further...

The hub adaptor lets you space it where you want on a straight hub if your hub is steped then it's more limited.

I'm missing something here, what is half-moon and what the hell does breeding mean?

I'm missing something here, what is half-moon and what the hell does breeding mean?

Half moon >> ie “beveled” >> crescent in

Breeding. My sprocket is so close to my rim spokes that mmmmdem-near sexing them -the sprocket & the rim spokes that is

All the different types of hub adapters are CNC machined: Top hat, Pineapple, or Clamshell... so I'll just presume you mean the clamshell adapters.

Improperly installed or just poor quality clamshell adapters can slip around the hub until the three sprocket bolts are pressing against the side of three of your spokes. This is even worse for your spokes than the rag joint, because the load is only being shared between three spokes.

The clamshell adapter needs to be a very good fit for your hub.
This means obtaining the correct size and possibly some custom fitting too. You might have a waisted hub shell shape, or it could have a stepped shape, or it could be a straight cylinder. The last one being the easiest to fit the adapter to.

Even then, you will need to get the clamshell with the better design that clamps on tightly using a couple of bolts, not the crappy one that relies on a pipe clip.

Even then, your smooth round hub and smooth round clamp is not a good shape to transfer torque.
It might be necessary to make a couple of holes in your hub shell and a couple of tapped holes in the adapter so you can put some short bolts in that will prevent the clamshell adapter from slipping around the hub.

I would much rather (and did) use a top hat adapter, but that bolts to a disc brake rotor mount which you might not have on your hub.

Even then, your smooth round hub and smooth round clamp is not a good shape to transfer torque.
It might be necessary to make a couple of holes in your hub shell and a couple of tapped holes in the adapter so you can put some short bolts in that will prevent the clamshell adapter from slipping around the hub.

How does one put bolts in the hub when there’s an axle going through the inside of it?

Btw Rims are 27” aluminum ones. Road bicycle baby

Perhaps bolts was misleading word to choose. I have not looked at all designs of clamshell adapter closely. Probably grub screws would be the thing.
Like most of the stock plastic twist throttle comes with a little nub sticking out that you're supposed to fit into a notch you've drilled in your handlebar.

You can disassemble the hub, removing the axle and bearings while you cut the shallow notches or holes right through the hub shell.
Then you only need to drill and tap a couple of holes into the clamshell adapter and fit a couple of grub screws in the adapter with a bit left exposed so they make little knobs to fit into the holes in the hub shell to prevent any spoke destroying slip around the hub when it's clamped on.

Presumably the wheel is built already, so the hardest bit would be reaching inside the spokes to make the shallow notches (or holes right through) the hub shell for the grub screws to sit into. You can probably do it with a rotary tool extension whatsit.

But personally for several reasons I just found a couple of good strong disc and rim brake compatible wheels on another of my bikes and used a top hat adapter which I like. I made my own but that's getting a bit off topic.

Last edited:
Back