hub motor kit

Yep mine is in the 500+ category. So the hub kits they aren't pedal assist? I'd like to have it be more of a helper motor and have all the gears front and rear more like the idea of being fresh for work and pedal my way home
They are pedal assist, but they are limited in speed based on the hub rpm. Volts control top rpm, amps control acceleration and ability to maintain speed uphill. With mid-drive kits, you can launch on a wheelie in 1st and go fast (72 volts can get you 40+) in top gear. You just need to pick usable gear ratios. On my gas powered shifter I'm currently set to max out in 3rd (3 speed hub) at 47 mph@9000 rpm. I did have it geared for 50.2 mph because I live in a hilly region (I only used 3rd downhill or almost flat uphills), but it didn't rev out on the track, so I raised the gear ratio because I was gonna race it (my ride to the track flaked) and haven't swapped it back yet, enjoying the quicker takeoffs, and the ability to use 3rd gear on a horrible hill in town that I could only do in second when geared for 3 mph more. Now I can tackle that hill at 38 when I used to do just 33 in second.

Last edited:
They are pedal assist, but they are limited in speed based on the hub rpm. Volts control top rpm, amps control acceleration and ability to maintain speed uphill. With mid-drive kits, you can launch on a wheelie in 1st and go fast (72 volts can get you 40+) in to p gear. You just need to pick usable gear ratios. On my gas powered shifter I'm currently set to max out in 3rd (3 speed hub) at 47 mph@9000 rpm. I did have it geared for 50.2 mph because I live in a hilly region, but it didn't rev out on the track, so I lowered the gear ratio I was gonna race it when I changed my gear ratios and haven't swapped it back yet (enjoying the quicker takeoffs, and the ability to use 3rd gear on a horrible hill that I could only do in second when geared for 3 mph more. Now I can tackle that hill at 38 when I used to do just 33 in second.
Yeah i hear ya on the hills i have to that are a bear to get up. 40 that's impressive will definitely be looking into the mid drive motors more. Should be a nice match with the hydraulic discs. That does bring up a question with the throttle is it a twist throttle if not does it interfere with the brake levers

Yeah i hear ya on the hills i have to that are a bear to get up. 40 that's impressive will definitely be looking into the mid drive motors more. Should be a nice match with the hydraulic discs. That does bring up a question with the throttle is it a twist throttle if not does it interfere with the brake levers

The twist throttle is a half throttle so it should allow you to engage the brake levers without touching the throttle. This isnt a big deal and you will get use to it in a few minutes. The Cyclone does not come stock with PAS. I have no idea how it will even do the PAS; I have this motor and the app has no PAS settings only PAS mode; and the app only comes with the motor kit with the bluetooth dongle.

This also comes down to a big decision as to if you gonna use the bike as a pedal assist bike or a moped. At the Cyclone level with 72V, its more moped than pedal assist bike. You can ask the folks at SickBikeParts to confirm but I do not think there is a PAS and if there is its at max level most likely which is dangerous to me. Without the PAS, its just feels awkward to pedal; like there is no point; the human + motor interface is detached.

Also, you mentioned you wanted to have front and rear gears. Well, if you get a throttle there is going to be no room for both. Unless you are left handed, I typically take the right handed rear gear shifter and put it on the left handle bar and remove the front shifter. Then the throttle goes on the right as most right handed people would want. With PAS, a throttle isnt needed or can be placed somewhere out of the way. As pedaling is the throttle.

Mid drives are 15-20% more efficient than hubs for the most part. I would go with a 500-750W mid drive or a 1000W hub and confirm it has variable PAS and a LCD display. It also depends on how you ride your bike now. If you shift a lot then mid drive can work for you but if you rarely shift then shifting to maximize a mid drive can become tedious.

I assumed by pedal assist that he was asking if you could still pedal to help it out. Forgot about them controllers that only add power when you pedal lol.

Cadence sensor. My cheap kit came with one and a twist throttle. Never installed the cadence sensor but it's just a magnet that goes behind the left crank with a stationary pick up sensor behind it on the bottom bracket. We pedal while using the twist throttle on the regular. I don't know what kind if gearing you have but if you're going 30mph you'll have to be pedaling like hamster on speed to be of any help.

Back