Jackshaft Hub used as Jackshaft?

Sinkronized

Local time
4:53 AM
I pulled a weed whacker apart to use on a bike, but, just like most weed whackers, spins the wrong way. I was trying to find a way to make it work, and I started looking at jackshafts. Rather than buying some bearing holders or a ready-made one, I decided to use a bike hub. I was wondering if it's possible to use the hub out of the front wheel as a jackshaft, and if I can weld it to the frame of the bike. Any other advice about this would be appreciated, thanks!

If you do decide to use a jackshaft, bicycle hubs have been used for that purpose. Some guys use a flip-flop hub for a jackshaft. The flip flop bub accepts a sprocket on each side and one side can freewheel. Some members have used three speed internal hubs like the Sturmey Archer for a jackshaft so you can have multi-gear engine power.
My preference for a rack mount motor is a simple friction drive.
fdcac897c93e172b6d0f09eb627129ee__65038_zoom.jpg

Thanks wheelbender, I'd never heard of Flip Flop Hubs before! Very helpful. Do you know, by any chance, If I can weld the hub directly onto the frame? Also, this isn't a rack mount, although I may resort to that if I can't make this way work.

If it's your average cheap hub that likely isn't heat treated then you can weld on it. I know I weld on hubs all the time with no adverse effects

On most of the bicycle hub jackshafts I have seen, the hub is not welded to the frame. Usually, some dropouts are welded to the frame and the hub/jackshaft bolted thereunto. I'll look for some links to those builds.

Back