Hub vs mid drive?

darwin

Local time
10:50 PM
I've had a hub drive ebike and liked it but never a mid drive. From reading you can use your gearing with a mid drive. That is a great feature for hills and speed. Only minus is a lot of wear on your chain and rear sprockets, maybe front too. What say you, your preferences and why? This thread might influence my next ebike purchase. Also any input on good mid drive brands/bikes that don't cost $5000.

Luna Cycle.
Mid drive kit. BBSHD or BBS02. Install yourself.
Exactly correct about the gears, you can go REALLY fast, have tons of torque, or something in between with a simple gear change.
If you're worried about the chain and sprocket after several years of use, how much would that realistically cost to replace? $15-20 for a chain, and about the same for a new rear cluster. Drop in the bucket.

And I'm wondering now I've thought about the 1500 watt front hub and I want to use it for the forest, but I wonder if it will pull me I weigh 250 lbs?

And I'm wondering now I've thought about the 1500 watt front hub and I want to use it for the forest, but I wonder if it will pull me I weigh 250 lbs?
As long as ya got a nice flat trail in the forest. When going up hills, help the motor by peddling.
I hear overloading the motor on hills is the worst thing for it

As long as ya got a nice flat trail in the forest. When going up hills, help the motor by peddling.
I hear overloading the motor on hills is the worst thing for it
I think that 1500 watts will be enough for hills of the sort of 15-20% if it doesn't happen I think about whether to put the e-bike engine on my 80cc gas bike with both engines I guess there will be power for quite large hills

Still the advantages of the mid-drive is varing ratios. For example with my 1.6 hp gas engine I'm able to pull 550 lbs total weight up a 30% grade hill around 6 mph. The reduction is 66.79:1 for my lowest gear.
thats one of the reasons i feel as though i am getting to like the mid drive system more and more.
plus the weight reduction is really tremendous as well.

Since he has the hub drive already why cant he just do both and only use the front hub drive to start the engine and or assist up hills :unsure:

Ride Safe ya mugs!! :cool:

HP

Back