Hub vs mid drive?

I stopped at the hub drive because it offers regeneration that can be used if used with a gas engine and mind drives are too expensive and complicate the construction otherwise I know that climbing is the better option but I think with two engines I will not have much problem with the bairs and this way you don't need a big battery because you have a petrol tank

I stopped at the hub drive because it offers regeneration that can be used if used with a gas engine and mind drives are too expensive and complicate the construction otherwise I know that climbing is the better option but I think with two engines I will not have much problem with the bairs and this way you don't need a big battery because you have a petrol tank
Hybrid

Attachments

• hybrid-1.jpg
    hybrid-1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 138
Предполагам, че и при двата двигателя моторът ще има много мощност за изкачване и другият ми въпрос е дали електрическият мотор ще може да зарежда достатъчно батериите, когато бензиновият двигател работи

Предполагам, че и при двата двигателя моторът ще има много мощност за изкачване и другият ми въпрос е дали електрическият мотор ще може да зарежда достатъчно батериите, когато бензиновият двигател работи
I guess with both engines the engine will have a lot of power to climb and my other question is whether the electric motor will be able to charge the batteries enough when the petrol engine is running

Translated

E-Bikes are still in that general manufacturing phase of, "E-bikes are New and VooDoo to the General Public, so we're going to charge out the A$$ for it because they don't know any better!" When the end user can build a bike from kit parts for $500, (including bike) and you've got these boneheads charging $1000+ for a bike with the same range and performance, I tend to try and give them as few $$ as possible.
THAT being said, I'm a fan of the hub-motors just because they've hit a decent price/performance point, and their utter simplicity. You want one or both wheels on the bike to rotate all by itself? The hub-motor does that- no chains, gears... etc. Lots of companies manufacturing/selling them, so competition keeps prices more fair.

If more and more manufacturers jump in on the mid-drive segment, I think the prices might fall in line. I don't feel it's there, yet.

Except in special cases like major hills or loads, I think the hub-motors are decent. My Voilamart 1000W/48V kit tows my lard butt around really well and it was one of the cheapest kits out there on E-bay. The battery pack is where the smart $$ needs to go- it'll make or break your build.

...Exactly correct about the gears, you can go REALLY fast, have tons of torque, or something in between with a simple gear change.
If you're worried about the chain and sprocket after several years of use, how much would that realistically cost to replace? $15-20 for a chain, and about the same for a new rear cluster. Drop in the bucket.
This is kind of correct, at least for people that ride little and aren't aggressively using a motor's full potential when they are riding. I think your cost for replacement is drastically off unless you are riding the cheapest POS possible. You're correct that chains aren't expensive to replace, but when you start swapping out full cassettes and CNC main drive gears it can get pricey even if you can do the work yourself. Mid-drives can apply far more torque to the chain and gears than two humans can produce on a tandem... that means more wear-n-tear. It also means more outright failures. That's a big reason why so many mid-drive riders don't use their full gear range, especially on multiple horsepower mid-drives, choosing to rely on that readily available torque to help grunt it out rather than swapping gears. There are a couple of ways to fix this... the first is to get a bike that can use a Gates belt drive and never worry about the f***ing thing again. Unfortunately not an option for me. The other is to ditch the rear gear cluster for an internally geared hub like the Rohloff Speedhub. Fortunately, that was an option for me. There is still wear in the chain and the rear gear. I have gone through maybe 15 chains and 7 two-sided rear gears in the last 5 years. I'm getting close to years riding (5-7K miles) on a single chain and one side of the rear gear... when they wear they can be flipped over and used backward. All this wear is on a chain that never has to jump gears or flex over an inch from side to side. People that want to ride an ebike more than just around the block or around various local parks have to understand that maintenance will be necessary. How necessary depends on how well you do your research and how much money you want to invest. Regardless... it will be more than a "drop in a bucket".Stay safe.

This is kind of correct, at least for people that ride little and aren't aggressively using a motor's full potential when they are riding. I think your cost for replacement is drastically off unless you are riding the cheapest POS possible. You're correct that chains aren't expensive to replace, but when you start swapping out full cassettes and CNC main drive gears it can get pricey even if you can do the work yourself. Mid-drives can apply far more torque to the chain and gears than two humans can produce on a tandem... that means more wear-n-tear. It also means more outright failures. That's a big reason why so many mid-drive riders don't use their full gear range, especially on multiple horsepower mid-drives, choosing to rely on that readily available torque to help grunt it out rather than swapping gears. There are a couple of ways to fix this... the first is to get a bike that can use a Gates belt drive and never worry about the f***ing thing again. Unfortunately not an option for me. The other is to ditch the rear gear cluster for an internally geared hub like the Rohloff Speedhub. Fortunately, that was an option for me. There is still wear in the chain and the rear gear. I have gone through maybe 15 chains and 7 two-sided rear gears in the last 5 years. I'm getting close to years riding (5-7K miles) on a single chain and one side of the rear gear... when they wear they can be flipped over and used backward. All this wear is on a chain that never has to jump gears or flex over an inch from side to side. People that want to ride an ebike more than just around the block or around various local parks have to understand that maintenance will be necessary. How necessary depends on how well you do your research and how much money you want to invest. Regardless... it will be more than a "drop in a bucket".Stay safe.
Touche.
However, I'm going to go out on a limb and say your yearly bike riding mileage is Anything but typical.
In the past 5 years, you've ridden over 30,000 miles......Thirty Thousand!
So, on average, you've replaced a chain every 2000 miles and you've had to replace your rear gear every 4300 miles. Not bad.
Most folks have a(7-11 gear) rear cassette. To replace one every 4300 miles, for $50(on the high side) and add in a $15 chain, I still say drop in the bucket.
Maintenance will be necessary regardless if its a hub, or mid drive motor.
-Cheers

Back