Hub vs mid drive?

Touche... Most folks have a( 7-11 gear) rear cassette. To replace one every 4300 miles, for $50(on the high side) and add in a $15 chain, I still say drop in the bucket. Maintenance will be necessary regardless if its a hub, or mid drive motor.
-Cheers
What you are failing to take into account is that mid-drive motors want a clean straight chain line. Once you start swapping (7-11) gears the wear is going to significantly increase... and your estimate of replacement costs are way low and don't include the LBS costs on doing the work. And that's if they can find the parts now. The wear I experience using a Rohloff Speedhub is a fraction of what you will see when using a gear cluster and derailleur and I can swap out the gear and chain on the side of a trail in about 20 mins. Wait and see how big that "drop" is when it's the cheap Chinese hub motor that dies. Yeah, I do ride more than most average ebike riders but a big part of that is because I don't own an average low-end POS ebike. The only people I still see comparing mid-drive motors with hub motors anymore are people that don't understand the differences because they have never actually experienced the difference. If you want an inexpensive ebike then cheap low-end Chinese crap sold on Amazon is the place to go. If you want an ebike that will still be rideable in 5 years you should save your quarters and aim higher. Stay safe.

What you are failing to take into account is that mid-drive motors want a clean straight chain line. Once you start swapping (7-11) gears the wear is going to significantly increase... and your estimate of replacement costs are way low and don't include the LBS costs on doing the work. And that's if they can find the parts now. The wear I experience using a Rohloff Speedhub is a fraction of what you will see when using a gear cluster and derailleur and I can swap out the gear and chain on the side of a trail in about 20 mins. Wait and see how big that "drop" is when it's the cheap Chinese hub motor that dies. Yeah, I do ride more than most average ebike riders but a big part of that is because I don't own an average low-end POS ebike. The only people I still see comparing mid-drive motors with hub motors anymore are people that don't understand the differences because they have never actually experienced the difference. If you want an inexpensive ebike then cheap low-end Chinese crap sold on Amazon is the place to go. If you want an ebike that will still be rideable in 5 years you should save your quarters and aim higher. Stay safe.
This is something I brought up. With my triple chainring shift kit, I shift like this:
1(1-3), 2(3-5), 3(5-7). This keeps my chain in a fairly straight line. I've also posted a video by Fabian on how to add a second chainring to a SBP shift kit. I always recommend steel chainrings.

I've posted on here several times how to build a 4 speed freewheel. (34,28,22,16)
This too would reduce the amount of cross chaining and widen the range between gear ratios. These are some cheaper alternatives to the more expensive 8+ IGH's

This is something I brought up... These are some cheaper alternatives to the more expensive 8+ IGH's
When my bike is loaded and pulling a trailer it's kinda like driving an 18 wheeler running up through the gears trying to maximize range. Once you have used and gotten used, or rather spoiled by an IGH there's no going back. It's amazing how well the BBSXX mid-drives work with the Speedhub and saves the drivetrain.

When my bike is loaded and pulling a trailer it's kinda like driving an 18 wheeler running up through the gears trying to maximize range. Once you have used and gotten used, or rather spoiled by an IGH there's no going back. It's amazing how well the BBSXX mid-drives work with the Speedhub and saves the drivetrain.
I bet, nothing like being able to shift to a lower gear while at a complete stop either. Unlike a derailleur where you have to do your down shifting before coming to a stop. That's something I do miss about the LandRider it always started in the lowest gear.

The LandRider could also downshift fairly easy going up hills as well. Unlike the Sidewinder where I have to start the climb in a low gear then shift up if the grade will allow me to do so. On rolling hills with no sharp curves, I put the rear in 4th and use chainring 3 for the decent and to gather speed. As I begin to slow down for the climb I drop to chainring 2 and to 1 if I need to. As I top the second hill I switch back to chainring 3 to start the process again. While doing this the rear cog never leaves cog (4).

I've had this rolling since 2020. BBS02B 750W, set up for slow start, long shift delay. I also limited max current and made other adjustments to speed profiles.

The rear is a SRAM DualDrive 3 internal, 7 cluster.
Trike is a Terratrike early Tour, drum brakes (I like em). I replaced pivot hardware with machined pins and metric bushings.

This thing climbs hills like a goat! But it also hits 30mph no problem, may go faster, I never ran it past sport mode 3. I can't see going any faster than that anyways.

Range, in extremely hilly runs with little pedal assist, 20 to 25 miles.

I do like to wind it up, get tunes playing on my speaker, I can add pedal and make it move real sporty. Run thru gears like a real motorbike.
😁

Only complaint?
Dodging road debris on a triple-tracker.
And...rumble strips, hate those too.

Attachments

• 20210816_082355.jpg
    20210816_082355.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 20210719_181101.jpg
    20210719_181101.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 141
What exactly is "sport mode 3" on a Bafang BBSXX mid-drive?
The controller came set with 5 power modes, using programmer I unlocked it to 10, 5 showing as ‘eco’ and 5 as ‘sport’. You can select which ‘mode’ is used for power level.

The eco modes have less aggressive acceleration, limits to top RPM and current. The way I got mine set, pedaling beyond sport mode 2 is a waste unless it’s in all low gears climbing a 30% grade, AND you are low on juice! I had a few rides where I started no pedal, full throttle ahead, but a few hours in, too many miles away from my truck, you pedal up EVERY hill watching that bar go down...
20200421_142608.jpg

The controller came set with 5 power modes, using programmer I unlocked it to 10, 5 showing as ‘eco’ and 5 as ‘sport’...

The eco modes have less aggressive acceleration, limits to top RPM and current...
BaFang mid-drives, all BBSXX models, ship with three levels of preset assist which can be changed to 9 levels (10 levels if some numbnuts thinks 0 is a level). I set mine for 9 immediately because range is more important to me than speed. Each of those power levels allows you to set different amounts of torque for the PAS and the throttle, including top speed cut off and how fast the torque ramps up so you don't tear those low-end gear clusters apart with 130Nm of torque. BaFang doesn't use the silly terms that European ebike companies coined with their 250W flagships like "eco-mode". I suggest you purchase a 58.8V 30+Ah battery and find someplace to hang it on that buggy of yours if you like to drive around using only the throttle. I can't relate to you about having to drive your "bike" someplace to ride it, I ride my bike away from the house almost every day. The only time my bike has ever been ferried somewhere is when taking it to one of my bike shops for maintenance or modification.

I guess my last reply crossed a line?

Mine's been reprogrammed my DPC18 has a MODE setting of SPORT and ECO, and all 10 selectable levels are powered.

I frequently ride from home, but I also ride places far from home, thats a normal thing.

I don't need that large battery you suggest either. Yes sometimes I ride with a lot of throttle. Not a problem.

Civil enough?
(EDIT: After looking at blogs about the firmware changes, issues with DPC-18 differing versions, maybe I got lucky with Ultra firmware in my BBS02B 750w version? Looked and ran thru my modes today, there’s 10 plus mode 0 pedal no power)

Moderators Note:
Much better!

I might have been a bit rude to the guy with the kickass etouring bike. Me, just an old guy riding to go mostly nowhere more than somewhere.

I used more of my 'eco' modes this weekend. Probably first time I used eco mode 0. Wife rides slow, likes to explore, so I bumped back and forth between 0 and 1. I went miles on the wooded paths on 0 so I wouldn't run all over her good grief when I pedeled it on fatbike by myself I'd hold 13mph! But, oh well...smell the flowers...
20210926_134135.jpg

Her trike above, also a Bafang, same DPC18 display
We rode 22 miles, and I had a lot more juice left than if I had been in charge of speed!

Rode today by myself, got my dose of speed in, but found myself going back to my eco modes and pedaling more when I got off the highway.
Hmm...

Maybe I should slow down and pack for longer rides? Well anyways my mileage experience with 17AH is probably worst-case lots of creek valleys lots of throttle high speed little pedalling I get about 25 miles per charge. Adding a little and less speeding maybe 30.
Sure I could get more by actually working it and slowing down. Who da thunk it?

But, if I do wanna really take a ride, I'll put a cooler and my wife's battery in my trailer and head for the next county....a land full of highways four lanes slower speeds lower traffic, with big shoulders, and NO rumble strips...I HATE rumble strips.

Back