Wheels Hubs on your rear wheels

Hey, has anyone been ahving problems with loosening hubs, and/or having to overhaul them? I have a real cheap-o wheel on right now, and the hub is almost destroyed after only 100K(approx.) Is it just because it's a low-cost steel wheel? does the added vibration and chain tension cause this?

One hundred kilometers is only about 60 miles.
I do that in a couple of days.
cruising and enjoying.
Grease em good.
Balance em good, and zip tie your spokes.
I have no local bike shops any more.
Just wally world kmart and target.
I would like try a cartridge bearing.
where to buy them though?

out of curiousity...what does zip tieing the spokes do? i'm assuming you mean zip tieing spokes where two spokes cross each other.

The original problem is due to not having the jam nut tightened against the cone correctly. Hard to do without a cone wrench. It is alost impossible to get the jam nut too tight, but without a cone rench, the cone will be over-tightened. Do it right and you will hardly be able to loosen it when you want to and it will not loosen on its own. Don't blame Shimano for improper tightening. Their product is fine when used correctly.

As for tying the spokes, it's supposed to allow the load to be spread to adjoinging spokes. I have not done it, but I have 11 ga spokes (.120).

out of curiousity...what does zip tieing the spokes do? i'm assuming you mean zip tieing spokes where two spokes cross each other.

Zip-tied spokes or even wired (wrapped with wire and soldered) wheels were thought to make a wheel more rigid, but in the quintessential wheel building book, The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt he tested this theory and found that wrapping with wire and solderng the spokes together had no effect. What does make a wheel strong is having spokes that are tensioned properly (high tension and evenly tensioned)

Last edited:
Back