Huffy Nel Lusso Safe?

Javohn Dyer

Local time
8:37 AM
So, I intend on building a huffy nel lusso my first motorized bike.
71xN4hsNjoL._SX355_.jpg

But, it has coaster brakes though I do intend to put on a hand front brake. With all i've read about coaster brakes, would it be dangerous to have a coaster break ( with the hand brake) or do you think it would be fine to have a front brake and a coaster break? What dangers would it pose leaving it on, and how do I take it off if it is to dangerous?

over my objections, my GF rides a coaster brake bike (she likes the paint), I installed two very good hand brakes - told her to never use the third coaster brake unless a bus was coming at her

71xN4hsNjoL._SX355_.jpg

But, it has coaster brakes though I do intend to put on a hand front brake. With all i've read about coaster brakes, would it be dangerous to have a coaster break ( with the hand brake) or do you think it would be fine to have a front brake and a coaster break? What dangers would it pose leaving it on, and how do I take it off if it is to dangerous?
Helped (a little) a friend litteraly just motorize that bike not a week ago, the thread I posted with the engine that blew a bolt out its clutch cover (welcome to the world of Happy time motors newcomer) was that bike exactly. I believe Dave (friend) installed a front brake as well, as for the dangers of the coaster itself? Nothing specifically dangerous if it's not your only brake.

Don't rely on just that, single speed bikes are equipped with coaster brakes often for one simple reason, they don't go very fast under normal conditions, no one actually expects you to use a single speed bike to climb up a steep hill and then back down another steep hill. There are actual warnings in the booklet supplied with the bike that warns about speeds when dealing with a coaster brake bike. That being said the coaster brake works completely fine when used at single speed human powered beach cruiser bike speeds, anything more and you're heading towards Russian roulette.

Put a good reliable brake on the front, leave the coaster if it doesn't bother you and I would recommend trying to install a second brake on the rear wheel, a caliper type. You'll have to trim the heads of the bolts down a little or bend the coaster brake arm that's on the left side out more so that the 2 clear eachother, so be prepared for that. You can't simply remove that arm from the hub because that will disable your brake, should you not know that already, and that's a bad thing.

Last edited:
71xN4hsNjoL._SX355_.jpg

That same bike is what I used as my first build, I have nothing but good things to say about it, have had it for about a year now. I have ridden the crap out of it, the frame seems to be holding so far. The only thing I would advise is make sure your rear wheel cones are nice and tight. Also this frame will be quite heavy after you're finished. Pic of it is in my album.

Beware of the fenders and weld locations where the rear rack attaches to the frame. I had the rear fender shake a tad too much from a bump while between a semi truck and city bus. Tire grabbed it and burrito'd under the rear rack locking the tire at 35mph and sending me into a skid. Blew the tire and ground flat spots in my rim walls. Thank god i didn't swerve under either monstrosity beside me...was scary stuff I'd rather not encounter again.
I've heard stories of the frame breaking where the rack is welded to the frame, but never had that occur...was stolen while i slept next to it at a park...:mad:. Spent a lil over $700 getting that thing just right...

Beware of the fenders and weld locations where the rear rack attaches to the frame. I had the rear fender shake a tad too much from a bump while between a semi truck and city bus. Tire grabbed it and burrito'd under the rear rack locking the tire at 35mph and sending me into a skid. Blew the tire and ground flat spots in my rim walls. Thank god i didn't swerve under either monstrosity beside me...was scary stuff I'd rather not encounter again.
I've heard stories of the frame breaking where the rack is welded to the frame, but never had that occur...was stolen while i slept next to it at a park...:mad:. Spent a lil over $700 getting that thing just right...
Sorry to hear that man, having s**t stolen is one of the worst feelings to deal with. And also like you, my Huffy NL frame is holding so far. I'm beginning to think that when people reported the cracking/faulty frames, maybe there was a bad batch or lot. I really haven't seen new reports of this happening lately. Atleast that's what I tell myself.

I haven't used fenders since having that happen with my nel lusso. I've heard horror stories of front fenders getting caught instaflipping you over the handlebars.

I haven't used fenders since having that happen with my nel lusso. I've heard horror stories of front fenders getting caught instaflipping you over the handlebars.
Are these stories very common, what excatly is a fender? So explain thinks like im a toddler

That same bike is what I used as my first build, I have nothing but good things to say about it, have had it for about a year now. I have ridden the crap out of it, the frame seems to be holding so far. The only thing I would advise is make sure your rear wheel cones are nice and tight. Also this frame will be quite heavy after you're finished. Pic of it is in my album.

Nice looking bikes

Back