Engine Trouble Huh? Knocking kind of?

it was jetted rich when i had the exhaust off so it wasnt lean, i understand that what i did was not smart. i just gotta know how to fix it
Cold air getting in will still crack a piston. I'd tear it apart and check the insides, paying close attention to the bearing and pin under the piston. Check the piston for cracks and the jug for damage as well.

Take pictures as you go to reference how it goes back together. An to document what you see, so you can show us and we can help if there is damage.

Just take the jug off, no need to split the case.

can i use a windowed piston as a replacement if there is piston damage, or do i NEED a reed valve to use a windowed one?
Use a regular piston. The piston needs to block the intake port during the exhaust stroke in a non reed setup. Basically the windowed piston eliminates this blocking with the window so the reed can be the valve instead of the piston.

I've only ever killed one of these, and it was kinda on purpose. I wanted to see what it could really do. Them single piece jug engines ain't to bad. 42 mph out of the box. I tried pushing to 43 and kept pushing, then she went boom!! I didn't try for a new engine, I knew I was the one that blew it up.

Sweet that they are exchanging it for you!!

Back