Hybrid EBIKE

I too had problems with the BMS cutting off all the time. I had one made especially for me by 'PACO' at 'cyclone motors' in TAIWAN. This fellow is very helpful and can speak eng-rish. I belive some kind of a shunt was needed to stop this happening.

Cyclone make decent kits (motor/throttle/freewheel crank) but the controllers are pretty dodgy. I blew the MOSFETS many a time so I upgraded my controller to a 'KELLY CONTROLLER' which may be a little dear but you can actually configure current, amps, max/min cutoff, high speed current deadening, via a USB cable to computer.

Have a chat to Paco if you need info on their BMS. He charged me cost price which was 55USD including delivery, I guess because I had so many probs with their original BMS.

http://www.cyclone-tw.com/

Cheers
Jon

Ahh yes im aware of cyclone...pass LoL

As for controllers maaaate its a reeeeeal touchy subject today as the last 3 days i been struggling to get my newly purchased Kelly Controller working grrrrrr... I have blown 2 other controllers on the trike so opted for a 200amp max 120amp continuous controller this time went for the KD series efficent model... The trouble i was having was when turning on main power to the controller it was causing a error...what was happening we have now found was my isolator switch was causing the problem, it is exceeeding the Kelly startup voltage and thus the code...the fix NOTHING LoL turn the main power on then off wait for the LED to stop flashing them immediately turn him back on and she is good to go. The fix would be a precharge setup alternatively a key switch on the J1-1 wire that 'turns the controller on' when main power is applied... For now though im not worrying about it...I do like the controllers though, if you asked me yesterday it would have ended up where the sun dont shine LOL...Join up on Endless Sphere if your not already a member there Jon, you will get alot more input there than you will here buddy...theres a heap of Aussies there too :)

Kim

Yep you do need the 'pre charge resistor' and the 'diode' or ya can damage poor old Kelly. I found this the hard way. Best way I found was to get a 70amp breaker or 'main contactor' and have ya pre charge around that. I also made a key switch like you said and this is working fine (little orange wire) from controller.

I'm sure you have already rung them but I found the fellow called 'KING' was helpful with info.

I do think the Kelly controllers are the best so far...I have not run into any overheating probs, and the error codes are quite helpful in determining probs.

Did they provide you with the 'precharge resistor' and the diode??? Mine came with both, but being impatient I didn't wire it in and had the exact same probs that you are having.

Nope i just received the controller...I got an email back from a bloke called 'Steve' at Kelly within hours of emailing which i thought was impressive. What exact model controller do you have? If you were on ES and saw my posts yesterday you could of been the savior that had the answer LoL..asit was i found it out by sheer luck...What model controller are you using exactly? I have the KDS48200E Tiny lil thing it is looks extremely well put together a vast improvement on the TNC Scooter YiYun **** LoL... When i do my final assembly i'll wire in a switch on the wire and leave the rest as is, the voltage isnt excessive its waaay under the controllers capabilities, those "in the know" seem to be in agreement it will be ok as is and/or with a simple key switch added...It must juuust be tripping it as it does work on occasion straight up, now if i was running upward of 70volt setup a pre-charge would be essential i think...

Last edited:
Back