Hybrid?

GreenMantis

Local time
5:49 AM
I think I want to try installing an 80cc motor on an e-bike. It'll be like a Prius with pedals. It will be easier to start the motor, and it'll have the best of both worlds. Has anyone done that?

some folks have had difficulty finding room for gas tank, battery and 2-stroke motor even with a front hub electric motor - start with a LARGE bike

also, in terms of risk management, i think you should go with a front hub electric motor versus rear due to possible size issues and also if you destroy the hub on the rear wheel with the gas motor you probably ruined your electric motor too...

I had this in mind. It looks like it has plenty of room in the frame, and the price is right for a starter project. If I really like it, I'll start another one with better parts, because that's just what I do. But on that project, I will also take my time building it up as I go. I don't want to jump into an expensive hobby until I know I want to do it, you know? A friend of mine got me into archery, and I started with just the very basic equipment. I could have gotten into that, except one day I tried his bow, set heavier than mine, and dislocated my shoulder, and that was the end of archery for me. Good thing I didn't go all out on equipment right away.

e-bike.jpg

Besides, I'm looking for utilitarian, and I like this. I think I'll put one of those old school, blaze orange bicycle safety flags with a reflective skull and crossbones sticker on it.

will there be enough clearance on the left for the drive chain? remember the battery is basically an incendiary bomb...

I hope so. I'm thinking that the battery can probably be moved higher up on the seat post, somehow if need be. If not, I'll put it on the rack on the back if I have to. I do appreciate the comments, I like to have a good idea what I'm getting into, and what considerations there are, a little help to anticipate any issues never hurts.

Last edited:
stator.jpg
I also have an idea for this hybrid, that is to get one of these cool 12v stators they have, which I would do even without the ebike, but for the ebike, I'll rewind it up to 40v, or so, and connect it to the charging port on the battery's board. If I am not mistaken, the charging controller is part of the pcb in the battery, and if it isn't, it will be, since I already found a generic battery board for ebikes, and that's what it does. So when the motor is running, it will put some charge back in the batteries. I like the idea that if there is no other way to charge the batteries, that if I just run the gas engine long enough, it will take care of itself.

A long time ago, I lived way out in the boonies, totally off the grid, and someone gave me an old golf cart, without a charger. I put 36v worth of solar panels (3 in series) on the roof, and eventually put together a 36v gas generator on that spot in the back where you are supposed to put your golf clubs. My own idea of a hybrid. If I neglected to drive it for a couple of weeks, the solar panels would top it up. If I wanted to cruise it around more often, I'd just have to start the generator, which had a recoil starter. The cool part was my house was off the grid, too, I used the golf cart to charge my house up, when I occasionally needed to. It's kind of funny that whenever it was raining and overcast, and there was no sun to charge my house up, the tendency is to stay inside and play video games all day (back when my old N64 was the state of the art), and use a lot more electricity than I otherwise would. I got around in that old golf cart.

There was a company that sold hybrid motorized bikes for a while. They had a front electric hub motor and China girl engine in the frame.
-They are either expensive or heavy, or both. The cheapest lithium ebike kit I know of is $600. It comes with a geared front hub motor, 250w and a pair of 12v8ah lithium batteries.
-Expense aside, the lithium hybrid would provide easier pedal starting and extra torque for hills and acceleration.

That ebike I am looking at is just under $500, 250 watts @ 36v, and has a 10Ah lithium battery. It's probably pretty low on the quality scale, but for that price, I don't care. I can replace whatever breaks with better parts later, on a piece by piece basis, which is the only way I'm willing to spend that much more money, anyway. And this way I won't have to wait until I have bought all the parts one by one to start enjoying it. It will make a decent starting point, if it works out, anyway. If not, I'll add a 1000 watt 48v front hub motor ($150 without the battery) and ride it like that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-250W-Cargo-Electric-Bicycle-6-speed-e-Bike-with-36V10A-Lithium-Battery/253001476463?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

And as it happens, the ebike has a thumb throttle, so it won't be in conflict with the twist grip throttle for the gas engine. How convenient. And it operates in either throttle, or pedal assist, with a sensor on the cranks. It will all work well together, as long as the gas motor fits okay.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Hey buddy, I'm with you.
Been thinking of the same thing.
You mean sorta like this?
56519-668adad4d26a747af10c33c07f5a4398.jpg

This is just a mock up, but I am thinking of the same thing.

Hey, GreenMantis, the secret to happiness is continued growth through lifelong learning!
Think about it. New car, new girlfriend, a trip away, or winning money.
What is the common feature that makes you happy?

Last edited:
Back