Hydraulic Brake Set

Sumsloppymeet

Local time
1:06 AM
Looking for some suggestions on a good upgrade what ive got going on at the moment just dosent fit my comfortablility range so whos got some good ideas for some dependable afordable brakes

Disc or rim?
One finger lever or two (or three)?
Road or off road?
Fat tyres or narrow?
Braking force is limited by the traction of the tyre on the riding surface, of course.
Big rotors are nice for cooling though, if you're planning on doing long descents. :)

I bought some used ones on fleaBay, that made them very affordable.
Everything is affordable if you save up long enough though. lol.

Shimano Deore front with a Hope 220mm single piece (not floating or anything) stainless rotor. 180mm would've been fine lol.
Magura HS33 Evolution rear with the 622mm alloy "rotor".
Both use mineral oil (non corrosive, paint safe) fluid. Both well respected brands, though these are fairly old and not top of the range, but then I don't need a lot of power on 1.25" tyres.

Last edited:
nice well im gonna be running more than likely 1.95 and right now ive got the stock linear pull that came on the back of my angel roller V2 and ive got a little 160mm mechanical pull alhonga on the front and my rear brake honeslty has more pull on it that the disc and i could tell by the speeds i was catching even running lean needing to change needle height im gonna wanna have some good brakes this things quick

A two pot disc brake should be fine for the front, and the Magura brakes work great on the rear if you can't or don't want to fit a disc. I should think anything is better than the Alhonga, who the hell is Al Honga? Lol.
I would just see what's available used, on fleaBay auctions, and Goggle for reviews of anything that looks interesting. :)

Looking for some suggestions on a good upgrade what ive got going on at the moment just dosent fit my comfortablility range so whos got some good ideas for some dependable afordable brakes
If your looking for something of fair quality at a reasonably good price. You could always go with a larger front rotor and get a diff. adapter. I have these and with 160 front and rear it stops very well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AVID-MTB-B...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back