Hydro lock

My brother's scrambler 400 had a leaking/faulty petcock and the carb seat was leaking. The result was the engine filling to the point of it being unable to turn over and pooling in the exhaust.

My brother's scrambler 400 had a leaking/faulty petcock and the carb seat was leaking. The result was the engine filling to the point of it being unable to turn over and pooling in the exhaust.
That's a 4 stroke and because it has valves at the top of the cylinder rather than open ports in the side of the cylinder like a two stroke has the fuel can get trapped on the compression stroke, a 2 stroke's piston passes exposed ports in the cylinder wall and this would disperse most if not all liquid before any compression would even take place.
Edit: Sorry the Scrambler 400 is a 2 stroke, with a reed valve induction so to fill the case/engine with fuel would have took quite awhile not minutes being claimed, then it should have been able to turn over as stated above the piston passing the open ports would disperse most if not all the liquid and sure it would then pool in the exhaust, if you/he tried using the electric start it would probably die before firing a badly flooded engine.

That's a 4 stroke and because it has valves at the top of the cylinder rather than open ports in the side of the cylinder like a two stroke has the fuel can get trapped on the compression stroke, a 2 stroke's piston passes exposed ports in the cylinder wall and this would disperse most if not all liquid before any compression would even take place.
Edit: Sorry the Scrambler 400 is a 2 stroke, with a reed valve induction so to fill the case/engine with fuel would have took quite awhile not minutes being claimed, then it should have been able to turn over as stated above the piston passing the open ports would disperse most if not all the liquid and sure it would then pool in the exhaust, if you/he tried using the electric start it would probably die before firing a badly flooded engine.
Oh yeah, it's not like it flooded in 5 minutes or anything, it basically dumped the entire gas tank through it, filled the intake as well.

On my 440 ltd ( 4 stroke) there are these magical tubes in the carb, where if the bowl over fills, it all leaks out on to the ground through plastic lines. They put them there to prevent hydro locking the engine with a bad float needle valve. I was riding one day with some buddies, and we parked. few mins later they told me my bike was peeing. I looked down, and sure as poop, the stupid needle valve got stuck open. Kawasaki relied on an intank filter, I have since put a fancy inline filter on it. Which caused me problems, because that $70 dollar filter came with Dollar Tree gas line. lol. I've since swapped out the fuel line with my very high dollar Goofit green fuel line, from my motorized bike supply. lol.

Back