Hyper Crusier/ Zeda case reed build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build is kinda odd for me. I typically don't start any project with all new parts. Most of my stuff is but with old junk and some new stuff. That's how I picked the screen name.

My last bike (first MB) was fun but had all kinds of problems with the Seeutek. Bearings went, then it broke a ring, next was wrist pin bearing failure that cracked the piston dome and then the final catastrophic lean the took out the entire top end which was caused by a broken carb. The bike itself also had issues with the derailleurs and brakes due to riding in the winter. Needed a repaint as well. Fvck that. This time I'm starting new.

So....
I decided this bike was going to be a single speed cruiser with disc brakes to solve my biggest issues with the bike itself. Hard combo to find. Found the Hyper at Wallmart by chance and it was cheap, real cheap. Comes with coaster brakes. No big deal, I like building rims and this way I can have exactly what I want. Besides the rims The only other things that needed to be changed are the pedals and handle bars. The bars are like 3' wide WTF. With my BMX background platform pedals is all I'll ride. Both of those issues have been taken care of.

For the engine I picked Zeda because a lot of people seem happy with them. Knew I wanted a reed for the power curve and I ended up going overboard and ordering the Zeda 80 case reed and a MZ65 pipe at the same time. Ship date is between 3/14 and 3/21.

Parts acquired so far:
  • Single speed disc hubs
  • Disc rotors and calipers
  • KMC Z510 chain
  • ODI grips
  • Dual brake lever
  • Matching clutch lever
  • Narrow 10 sprocket from BMW
  • CNC throttle
Parts to be ordered:
  • Huffy Davidson Lightning Strike CDI
  • Disc Drive sprocket adapter and 410 36t sprocket from MBRebel
  • OZ super magneto
  • 12g spokes and nipples
  • Double wall rims
  • Lighting

The crack is right below where the top tube and chain stays meet. The seat post is bottomed out in the seat tube to support it for now. If the crack was lower I would have done as you guys suggested, that's how I butt weld structural tube.

Changed my mind about the flea market due to weather. Going to a place called Newark bike project to see what they have. They upcycle used bikes. If I don't find anything may get another hyper or a Cranbrook. Like the cranbrook because it's steel. Would be nice to have a steel frame to weld on.

I don't have many miles on mine, but i have no issues with my cranbrook frame, rims, and spokes. everything else is junk IMO

The crack is right below where the top tube and chain stays meet. The seat post is bottomed out in the seat tube to support it for now. If the crack was lower I would have done as you guys suggested, that's how I butt weld structural tube.

Changed my mind about the flea market due to weather. Going to a place called Newark bike project to see what they have. They upcycle used bikes. If I don't find anything may get another hyper or a Cranbrook. Like the cranbrook because it's steel. Would be nice to have a steel frame to weld on.
I didn't think it through. As clean as your welds are it should have dawned on me that your familiar with repair techniques. I'm self teaching myself on welding, and still very much a beginner so when I think of something like this to me it's still a revelation. Good luck on your frame hunt. Hope you find something cool.

Thanks. It's good to give your ideas. Sometimes the most obvious or simple idea is over looked and turns into an over engineered clusterf***.

Think the hyper may turn into a backup/ bad weather bike. Have the new engine from the occ chopper and plenty of wheels. Still have the stock fork as well. Could leave the seat post in while welding and make it part of the frame. It won't be anything like it is now but I just don't want to retire it yet.

Sucks, was looking forward to the tank you were making. Was a nice looking build. Think about banging a seat post down the seat tube to reinforce the crack before welding? I thought the hyper cruiser was steel.
Some websites list it as steel but it is actually aluminum.

Great bike for a stock kit, and no one knows how long it could have lasted if the stinger didn't come loose and vibrate the hell out of it! Could have broken at the same spot anyway next week or lasted for years.

It is a nice frame. Thought about getting another but there are things I would want to change like the dropouts and that's the reason for me to switch to a steel frame. Would highly recommend the hyper. Feel I am 100% the cause of the crack for not maintaining the bike.

Felt Bixby is a nice frame, steel with horizontal dropouts, 124mm rear spacing,
1 1/8 steerer tube, and its a longer wheelbase, only downside is i don't see anyway to mount a centerstand, didn't notice this till i bought it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back