Hyper Crusier/ Zeda case reed build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build is kinda odd for me. I typically don't start any project with all new parts. Most of my stuff is but with old junk and some new stuff. That's how I picked the screen name.

My last bike (first MB) was fun but had all kinds of problems with the Seeutek. Bearings went, then it broke a ring, next was wrist pin bearing failure that cracked the piston dome and then the final catastrophic lean the took out the entire top end which was caused by a broken carb. The bike itself also had issues with the derailleurs and brakes due to riding in the winter. Needed a repaint as well. Fvck that. This time I'm starting new.

So....
I decided this bike was going to be a single speed cruiser with disc brakes to solve my biggest issues with the bike itself. Hard combo to find. Found the Hyper at Wallmart by chance and it was cheap, real cheap. Comes with coaster brakes. No big deal, I like building rims and this way I can have exactly what I want. Besides the rims The only other things that needed to be changed are the pedals and handle bars. The bars are like 3' wide WTF. With my BMX background platform pedals is all I'll ride. Both of those issues have been taken care of.

For the engine I picked Zeda because a lot of people seem happy with them. Knew I wanted a reed for the power curve and I ended up going overboard and ordering the Zeda 80 case reed and a MZ65 pipe at the same time. Ship date is between 3/14 and 3/21.

Parts acquired so far:
  • Single speed disc hubs
  • Disc rotors and calipers
  • KMC Z510 chain
  • ODI grips
  • Dual brake lever
  • Matching clutch lever
  • Narrow 10 sprocket from BMW
  • CNC throttle
Parts to be ordered:
  • Huffy Davidson Lightning Strike CDI
  • Disc Drive sprocket adapter and 410 36t sprocket from MBRebel
  • OZ super magneto
  • 12g spokes and nipples
  • Double wall rims
  • Lighting

I also haven't used a shop built engine from ZMS. The engines I've been using are the firestorm engines form bicycleengines.com, and their customer service is great.

It came with 1 base gasket. Sent zeda motorsports an email but no answer of course. The squish band measured 42 or 44mm so I reshaped the head and have a 0.8mm copper head gasket. Think my squish is 0.7mm and change. Not sure what he did porting wise. Everything is raised however. All signs of the original casting is removed from the transfers and it looks like the exhaust was also raised.
I'm sure the single base gasket was a mistake or maybe a new head supplier, but what you have done with it made the mistake into a improvement. I looked at all your pics. of the internals and it looks like this baby is going to haul ass. I'm guessing the mating ring on the head extended to far into the cyl. like the stock ones do, and if it would have had a squish band that started at the cyl. wall it probably would have been fine. I have lately been getting after market heads that look the same as previous orders but have different chamber designs. Hard to notice by the eye, but enough to screw things up so now I'm checking them all.

Looking back I agree with you 100%. Don't think the head would have been correct with a second base gasket.

Worked on it some more today. Lost a bolt the other day and figured should probably give it a once over. Found a fuel leak on the kit tank at a mounting stud. Funny thing is it is duct taped on lol. Retorqued the head studs and felt that all to familiar feeling of threads pulling out, f***. Heli coiled it and good to go. Went to rejet the carb and the Mikuni/OKO slow jets are different. The redneck side of me came out and so did the dewalt drill bits. No number drill here. From reading around seemed a 50 jet was a good place to start so I found the biggest bit that still went into the 50 and drilled the one from the carb. :p Can't get it to idle but think thats the floats. It's running rich but I'm fine with that for now. Decided to just buy an OKO and use this to collect dust with. Just have to figure out if I want a round slide or D slide, they are the same price from treatland.

So the bike is a monster, pulls from a dead stop up to about 45 no problem. Haven't wound it out yet and no full throttle either.
Very light vibes but I think what I am feeling is the chain oscillating. Hard to tell with out a speedometer to see if it is happening at the same speed.

Awesome build. I have the same bike that I will be doing a build on after I finish a "practice" kit bike first and it was great to see the mods you did - I am especially interested in the disc brake mounts! For now I just purchased a caliper brake.

That gas tank is killer. I don't have an outlet in my new place yet for my welder but I may just try that brazing method. Do you know roughly the thickness of the sheet aluminum you used? I have tons of experience with electronics soldering so I'm sure I can pick it up after a few practice runs on scrap parts.

Thank you, these bikes are awesome imo.

I'll look for some scrap pieces to measure for you. It's about 1/16". The hard part was clamping without bending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back