Hyper Crusier/ Zeda case reed build

Status
Not open for further replies.
This build is kinda odd for me. I typically don't start any project with all new parts. Most of my stuff is but with old junk and some new stuff. That's how I picked the screen name.

My last bike (first MB) was fun but had all kinds of problems with the Seeutek. Bearings went, then it broke a ring, next was wrist pin bearing failure that cracked the piston dome and then the final catastrophic lean the took out the entire top end which was caused by a broken carb. The bike itself also had issues with the derailleurs and brakes due to riding in the winter. Needed a repaint as well. Fvck that. This time I'm starting new.

So....
I decided this bike was going to be a single speed cruiser with disc brakes to solve my biggest issues with the bike itself. Hard combo to find. Found the Hyper at Wallmart by chance and it was cheap, real cheap. Comes with coaster brakes. No big deal, I like building rims and this way I can have exactly what I want. Besides the rims The only other things that needed to be changed are the pedals and handle bars. The bars are like 3' wide WTF. With my BMX background platform pedals is all I'll ride. Both of those issues have been taken care of.

For the engine I picked Zeda because a lot of people seem happy with them. Knew I wanted a reed for the power curve and I ended up going overboard and ordering the Zeda 80 case reed and a MZ65 pipe at the same time. Ship date is between 3/14 and 3/21.

Parts acquired so far:
  • Single speed disc hubs
  • Disc rotors and calipers
  • KMC Z510 chain
  • ODI grips
  • Dual brake lever
  • Matching clutch lever
  • Narrow 10 sprocket from BMW
  • CNC throttle
Parts to be ordered:
  • Huffy Davidson Lightning Strike CDI
  • Disc Drive sprocket adapter and 410 36t sprocket from MBRebel
  • OZ super magneto
  • 12g spokes and nipples
  • Double wall rims
  • Lighting

Jets came in. Went from a 115 to a 122 main jet. Still not right. When I go from 1/4 throttle to half and up it sounds like it isn't getting any fuel. Have to do some plug chops. Thing I might start over with the carb, work my way up from the slow jet.

Got the tank mounted today and I'm pretty happy with it. Holds a lot of fuel but haven't measured it yet. The O ring on the cap is leaking a little. It's a sealed cap with a vent tube.

Went out and rode it some. Feels faster than it did even with the carb being out of whack. No leaks from the tank other than the cap which is great. Feels a little different with the tank lower, more stable. Took some pictures while I was out. Enjoy!

Man that's looking good. Wish you lived around here. I'd be payin you for a tank like that. Seen you were thinking triple tree forks. One of these sure would look good on that bike Sunlite Deluxe Springer Replica Fork 26 180x70x25.4x27 Disc Bk F/175mmstack Ht | eBay

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Been thinking about getting triple tree forks for it. I'm limited because the head tube is 1"and 6 7/8" long. Found these but they are out of stock right now. https://www.bicycledesigner.com/bik.../22-chopper-fork-1-threadless-disc-brake.html
Looking for more options.
I know you said options not opinions but I don't think triple trees would add anything that bike actually needs. I love the way you have built a motorised bicycle with only the parts added that it really needs, and it still retains the look of a bicycle. :)
Personally, I think I would upgrade the cranks first.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I know you said options not opinions but I don't think triple trees would add anything that bike actually needs. I love the way you have built a motorised bicycle with only the parts added that it really needs, and it still retains the look of a bicycle. :)
Personally, I think I would upgrade the cranks first.
Cranks are at the top of the list. Really need stiffer forks. I see what you are saying and I feel the same but I also like the triple tree fork an think they go well with the bike.

wouldn't you like it without the front fender at all? I hear it is difficult to permanently attach short of welding

The fender is very secure now. Still not sure if I like it or not. I do hear a lot of pebbles hit while riding so it is doing it's job. Need to make the rear support hoop match and see how I feel about the front then. Rear is definitely staying.

Front fender is off the bike again. Decided I didn't like it.

Did a bunch of work to the bike this weekend.

Got the Hookworms on. While the tires were off I tightened the spokes and truded the wheels again. They were very close still but wanted to go back over them. Pulled the axles and greased the bearings. Installed a longer rear axle.

Pulled the carb because the silicone hose wasn't working out. The carb wanted to slide out. Put the hose on that came with the engine. Pulled the reed block apart while I was there. Robert from Zeda motor sports says to use rtv. Nope. Don't work. Made some gaskets up and soaked them in oil. So much better. Dropped down the main jet from 122 to 120. Also moved the cip on the needle but lowered it instead of raising it so gotta fix that. :mad:

Moderators Note:
Please be aware that Zeda Motor Sports and Robert Bianchi have nothing to do with Zeda itself which is a manufacturer of Zeda Motors in China.
A reputable vendor of the Zeda line of motors can be found at bicycle-engines.com

Was having clutch problems as well. Turns out the bucking bar was too short and some how the ball bearing wore a dent into it. Cut up a 1/4" extension to fix it. Works better then it ever has.

Added a chain tensioner to the pedal side so no more engine side tensioner. Can't believe how much it cut down the vibration.

Lastly I touched up the paint on the top tube. Had a big bare metal spot from the kit tank. Wet sanded it with 400 grit until it was smooth, taped everything else off and sprayed it with VHT chassis and roll bar paint. Pretty close match.

I'm not sure if that is from the ball bearing on the bucking bar, i think the ones i have in the kits are hollow but would have to check

I also had a similar problem on my MB build with the carb but was able to make some adopters with little grooves to grip the hose and also made a mounting bracket.
It actually finished off very nice i thought.

Looking good mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back